Steinberg/Cubasis upgrade

research

Probably gonna get slapped for asking this but wtf....I’m currently using an older PC running Windows XP...utilizing Steinberg vst 4....would love to upgrade...can I download an upgrade onto a flash drive (on a different computer)and transfer to my computer for my use??? Live way out in the boondocks and internet is crazy expensive so have someone willing to put on a thumb drive for me if it can be done...Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated......Thanks

You can download the upgrade to a thumb drive, the bigger problem is going to be the newer version of cubase running on Windows xp.

The other thing is the newer versions use a usb key for copy protection, so it isn't just a matter of downloading the software.

So it IS in fact possible to do that.....I’ve seen some versions available that “claim” to be XP compatible...not really sure what USB key is all about...not familiar with that...

You can download the upgrade to a thumb drive, the bigger problem is going to be the newer version of cubase running on Windows xp.

The other thing is the newer versions use a usb key for copy protection, so it isn't just a matter of downloading the software.
Thanks for replying

This just isn't going to work. The installation for the latest versions is totally integrated with the Steinberg servers - they know what you have, they talk to your computer and offer you downloads of what you have in your elicenser. For years now Cubase in the Pro version needs a hardware USB licence dongle. The versions such as Artiste and element can run on an elicenser but that checks with Steinberg regularly and if it is unhappy - maybe you moved a few plug ins or simple stuff, you need to run what it calls maintenance tasks. Without internet connections, it's a total pain, as I found out when my router died. So many things stopped working - innocent stuff like VSTi synths, and of course all the latest sound packs and upgrades to everyday tools require constant updating.

I'm not even sure there are old Cubase versions on the site any longer that will work with XP - frankly, from the legacy XP computer I keep for a few apps, it's on it's last legs.

Also be aware Cubase has HUGE cleverness now and you can do amazingly useful stuff, but Windows 10 or Mac latest OS is almost essential. I fear you are not going to find any way to do this. You can go to a friends house and on his computer download cubase, buy a dongle and then go to your house with the download on the USB drive. Then cubase says it needs to download X or Y to complete the installation and you go back to your friends - but how do you get back to the place in your install? Maybe you could take your computer to somebody with a net connection and just install it there? If you can find an old version compatible with XP and get it running, you go home and in the first song, click on the drum machine and up comes the message, sample xyz123 is missing, click here to download ........

Internet connection is not just useful, it's essential. Your distance from civilsation, old computer and by neccesity old software is going to be painful. Mind you with the cost of the software, is there not a solution to internet coverage that would enable you to use computers - XP hardly even counts as a modern computer any longer. XP is not supported and a dinosaur. Windows 10 is on all my PCs and works fine and is stable - there's simply no musical sense in staying on it.

What they said ^^^^^^
I don't think you can even upgrade if you haven't at least Cubase 9 or 10. Until just a month ago I was on Cubase 5 and downloaded the trial version of 11. So much has changed since then! Then two days later my computer broke down (not their fault, just a mere coincidence of ageing stuff). As I was hooked I treated myself on a new computer, and bought Elements immediately. To prove that their computer talks to yours, I couldn't get another trial version anymore with my Steinberg account, but that wasn't needed as I was already hooked. Elements got soooo powerful. And yes, it needs internet a lot! No USB-dongle is requiered for Elements, they put an electronic version on your computer now, eLicenser. I've read somewhere that they will get rid of physical dongles for the other versions too in the future.

I must admit that the dongle and the elicenser seem to pretty much do the same thing. A friend of mine is virus phobic and has his music computer on a computer that is not connected ever to the internet. He's been managing sort of OK with the two machines in the same room but the latest sampler packages he has bought are around 30GB worth and while he can move them he's not worked out how to get them authorised as the computer asks for the authorisation code - bit then tries to verify it online.

I think his paranoia over internet viruses will subside not through choice, but practicalities. Being away from civilisation is not something so easy?

This just isn't going to work. The installation for the latest versions is totally integrated with the Steinberg servers - they know what you have, they talk to your computer and offer you downloads of what you have in your elicenser. For years now Cubase in the Pro version needs a hardware USB licence dongle. The versions such as Artiste and element can run on an elicenser but that checks with Steinberg regularly and if it is unhappy - maybe you moved a few plug ins or simple stuff, you need to run what it calls maintenance tasks. Without internet connections, it's a total pain, as I found out when my router died. So many things stopped working - innocent stuff like VSTi synths, and of course all the latest sound packs and upgrades to everyday tools require constant updating.

I'm not even sure there are old Cubase versions on the site any longer that will work with XP - frankly, from the legacy XP computer I keep for a few apps, it's on it's last legs.

Also be aware Cubase has HUGE cleverness now and you can do amazingly useful stuff, but Windows 10 or Mac latest OS is almost essential. I fear you are not going to find any way to do this. You can go to a friends house and on his computer download cubase, buy a dongle and then go to your house with the download on the USB drive. Then cubase says it needs to download X or Y to complete the installation and you go back to your friends - but how do you get back to the place in your install? Maybe you could take your computer to somebody with a net connection and just install it there? If you can find an old version compatible with XP and get it running, you go home and in the first song, click on the drum machine and up comes the message, sample xyz123 is missing, click here to download ........

Internet connection is not just useful, it's essential. Your distance from civilsation, old computer and by neccesity old software is going to be painful. Mind you with the cost of the software, is there not a solution to internet coverage that would enable you to use computers - XP hardly even counts as a modern computer any longer. XP is not supported and a dinosaur. Windows 10 is on all my PCs and works fine and is stable - there's simply no musical sense in staying on it.

To Rob....only
I came here because I was looking for advice/ help with a seemingly innocuous inquiry. I’m a member and have sought information and asked for advice in the past. HOWEVER, Rob, I certainly didn’t expect to be computer/internet shamed by some self righteous wannabe expert. I’m older (in my late 60’s) and on a fixed income so certain things that you so easily seem to take for granted are things that I’ve had to sacrifice. IF I could afford a new computer, AND a new version of a production suite, AND could afford the $175.00 monthly internet fee where I live, believe me I wouldn’t have to reach out for help on an issue like this. So, that being said, Rob, you can take your demeaning, sanctimonious “advice” and.....well, I’ll leave it to your imagination....I’ve got enough class to just let you figure it out on you own.....To all others who have had “constructive” advice....Thank you....

Research, I dont' think Rob was trying to be demeaning. He's just pointing out that the computer and recording software world has left WinXP behind. Microsoft has left Win 7 behind. WinXP came out 20 years ago, and in computer terms, that's an EON!

I'm not a Cubase user, so I really can't comment on which version you would need to run on XP. I do know that Reaper is supposed to run on any system from XP to Win10. Would your VST 4 package run under that system? Reaper doesn't need internet to run. Its something to consider.

As for internet, I don't know what phone plan you have, but my sister has a very basic T=Mobile plan that includes 3GB/month of hotspot data. She uses it for doing Social Security/Medicare and when she had to do unemployment signups. I bought her a computer at one of the Christmas sales for $229. Nothing fancy, but it does the job. I don't think she would be able to do her SSA stuff on a phone.

Anyway, you might check what your phone plan includes. Some have pretty significant hotspot allowances.

To Rob....only
I came here because I was looking for advice/ help with a seemingly innocuous inquiry. I’m a member and have sought information and asked for advice in the past. HOWEVER, Rob, I certainly didn’t expect to be computer/internet shamed by some self righteous wannabe expert. I’m older (in my late 60’s) and on a fixed income so certain things that you so easily seem to take for granted are things that I’ve had to sacrifice. IF I could afford a new computer, AND a new version of a production suite, AND could afford the $175.00 monthly internet fee where I live, believe me I wouldn’t have to reach out for help on an issue like this. So, that being said, Rob, you can take your demeaning, sanctimonious “advice” and.....well, I’ll leave it to your imagination....I’ve got enough class to just let you figure it out on you own.....To all others who have had “advice”....Thsnk you
Research, I dont' think Rob was trying to be demeaning. He's just pointing out that the computer and recording software world has left WinXP behind. Microsoft has left Win 7 behind. WinXP came out 20 years ago, and in computer terms, that's an EON!

I'm not a Cubase user, so I really can't comment on which version you would need to run on XP. I do know that Reaper is supposed to run on any system from XP to Win10. Would your VST 4 package run under that system? Reaper doesn't need internet to run. Its something to consider.

As for internet, I don't know what phone plan you have, but my sister has a very basic T=Mobile plan that includes 3GB/month of hotspot data. She uses it for doing Social Security/Medicare and when she had to do unemployment signups. I bought her a computer at one of the Christmas sales for $229. Nothing fancy, but it does the job. I don't think she would be able to do her SSA stuff on a phone.

Anyway, you might check what your phone plan includes. Some have pretty significant hotspot allowances.
Talisman....
Thanks for the info, brother!!! I will check out Reaper and check on phone/internet setup....as far as “Rob” goes I’ve read his post several times just to be sure I’m not reading it wrong and while he may not have “intended” to be a total douchebag, that’s pretty much how it came across....but good for you for defending him....You sir, have what I like to call, class. Thank you for your help and advice.....you’ve restored my faith that there’s really is viable help on this forum.

I’ve never in my life spent time and thought to try to help, with what I thought was sensible and constructive advice to get a tirade back like this? What did I say that was demeaning? Nothing! What you are trying to do will give you grief, that’s all. If you want to play the elderly card and have this self righteous chip on your shoulder, then consider this. I’m probably older than you, with covid I’m probably poorer than you, and the main difference is I spend my money on music, keep current, learn what I can and try to help others. You are rude, arrogant and want contemporary performance on archaic computers and no internet. What did you want? advice that you can download the latest Cubase, use it on XP and be happy? Good luck with that. If you want to believe it will work, it’s fine, I tried but I was NOT guilty of anything other than delivering bad news. I reject every single spiteful nasty comment you posted. Get the chip off your shoulder and don’t shoot the piano player!

I’ve never in my life spent time and thought to try to help, with what I thought was sensible and constructive advice to get a tirade back like this? What did I say that was demeaning? Nothing! What you are trying to do will give you grief, that’s all. If you want to play the elderly card and have this self righteous chip on your shoulder, then consider this. I’m probably older than you, with covid I’m probably poorer than you, and the main difference is I spend my money on music, keep current, learn what I can and try to help others. You are rude, arrogant and want contemporary performance on archaic computers and no internet. What did you want? advice that you can download the latest Cubase, use it on XP and be happy? Good luck with that. If you want to believe it will work, it’s fine, I tried but I was NOT guilty of anything other than delivering bad news. I reject every single spiteful nasty comment you posted. Get the chip off your shoulder and don’t shoot the piano player!
Wow.....you really are a douche....you should reread your posts with an open mind and see that you ARE a self serving, judgmental, opinionated, egocentric ass. I never said anything about looking to obtain any “latest” version of Cubasis...or anything remotely resembling “contemporary performance “ for my archaic computer with no internet. I merely asked if it was possible to take a shortcut to maybe upgrade a little. Sorry if I upset your sensibility, bunky. I’ll just find a friendlier forum and let you reign supreme over your little domain here. You probably had some talent at one time but here, doling out your “ wisdom” is probably the only way for someone like you to try to still be relevant. Enjoy yourself Rob....you’ve found your place here....👍

Wow.....you really are a douche....you should reread your posts with an open mind and see that you ARE a self serving, judgmental, opinionated, egocentric ass. I never said anything about looking to obtain any “latest” version of Cubasis...or anything remotely resembling “contemporary performance “ for my archaic computer with no internet. I merely asked if it was possible to take a shortcut to maybe upgrade a little. Sorry if I upset your sensibility, bunky. I’ll just find a friendlier forum and let you reign supreme over your little domain here. You probably had some talent at one time but here, doling out your “ wisdom” is probably the only way for someone like you to try to still be relevant. Enjoy yourself Rob....you’ve found your place here....👍
Your language is intemperate and unbecoming of a member of this forum. You can disagree with someone without resorting to "Wow.....you really are a douche....you should reread your posts with an open mind and see that you ARE a self serving, judgmental, opinionated, egocentric ass".

You just can't help some people. Join a forum, insult the members and still not move forward.

Perhaps I should just have said "No, you can't" - that wouldn't have helped you would it? Luckily others can carry the topic on - I'm done.

Sorry you took all the flack, Rob. Your answer was actually spot-on as usual, and I support every word you said. But seemingly hard to digest for some.

I took the downloaded cubase file from here to the office this morning - I tried to install it, and first thing that happened was the elicenser told me I wasn't able to install it. not even run it. So it looks like a non-starter. Searching the net on the Cubase groups suggests that version 6.5 was the last one to work on XP. That dates it to 2012! Worse is that it was distributed on DVD, so no chance of downloading the install package. This will apply to all older versions even if they are on the Steinberg site, which they're not. Going forward to downloadable versions that are available removes support for XP. I reckon it's clearly a non-starter. I probably till have some old DVD based versions laying around somewhere and I'd probably have been willing to send them if he covered the post, as they're no use to me, but I'll not be doing that now!

I’m going to put this to rest for good once and for all....:
I would like to apologize profusely to the group as a whole for my unproductive and unprofessional post directed towards someone who was only trying to help. I overreacted to a few lines in Rob’s response that I mistook as a criticism. For that, I again apologize. I was way out of line.
And directly to you Rob, I sincerely apologize for my hurtful words and reaction to your advice and help. Your help/advice was, as someone stated, spot on. It was the last paragraph of that first response that I took as rather “preachy”. There was, admittedly, a certain level of embarrassment on my part because I felt you were calling me out for my antiquated computer and production program....which I will acknowledge now was probably not your intent. I apologize for my obnoxious response AND for addressing it in a public forum. I have read your last post and find it extraordinary that you actually attempted to do what I originally wanted information on doing....that was extremely impressive and I Thank you for that, and acknowledge you were not doing it for me. I wish you no ill will and hope you can accept my apology. If not, I can certainly understand.
Once again , Rob and the entire forum, I apologize. This incident will not be repeated.

And here I thought the Cubase forum was dead...

I find it awesome that this discussion was somewhat resolved, even if it took a strange turn to get there. Better than Fakebook discussions have gone lately....

Cheers to all! :)

Back