Steel-framed absorbtion panels

Innovations

Just built some new 3 inch thick absorbers and I tried something new (or at least new to me) and I was pleased with the result. I used metal studs instead of wood for the frame. I was impressed at how fast they went together, inexpensive, lightweight, crisp corners, and the finished product was exactly two by four feet. The only tools required was a tape measure, square, tin snips, and a drill.

I used 3 5/8 inch studs eight feet long. Really cheap at Home Depot. Three studs makes two panels. The first stud I cut the flanges two feet in from each end, flatten the flanges, and fold to form a U shape. Then I slid three one-inch 703 panels into the groove and then close the frame with half of the other stud. Screw each corner front and back with a self-tapping steel framing screw and it is ready for covering. Once I got the hang of it building each panel took maybe ten minutes.

You're going to lose a decent amount of the rated absorption by covering the edges. It would be best if you cut some big holes in the edges so sound can still get through.

I think the materiel he is talking about already has holes in it (if I'm not mistaken). I've seen it at Home Depot and I too thought it would make a cool frame for 703. However, I wasn't sure how I would fabricate it. So, pictures would be great to see....PLEASE....

EDIT....

I found a picture online of a stud. Although they have holes in them, there don't seem to be enough.

20010201_Using_Tools_page003img001_999.jpg

Last edited:
Back