staying in tune during performance

smirky

is there a silent and comfortable way to stay in tune during a live-act? it's easy on my Strat (as I have this option on my effect-console), but how can I do it on my half-accoustic (without plugging out anything, naturally)?
thanks for tips, smirky

I have this "stick on" tuner its made by sabian ax200 ($58) it mounts on electric or accoustic. pretty cool you never have to plug in to it. smaller than a humbucker.

locking tuners like my PRS and Parker Fly.

Better yet, these days I have the luxury of using 5-7 guitars per show, I have a guy tune them while I'm not using them. Find a friend who can tune your guitars for you and alternate between using acoustic and electric and have him tune it up in when youre not using it.

Other than that, if it's an inexpensive guitar, replace the tuners...it shuoldn't really go out of tune too much.

H2H

In addition to the above reccomendations, make sure your guitar is properly setup....make sure strings are in good shape and put on correctly and stretched.....remember to always tune up and not down.....

Always tune to the last chord of the song was what one of my guitar teachers used to tell us.
Seriously,I will tune during a song if I hear a string go flat.Trust your ears and your experience.I also keep an "emergency" guitar on the backup stand if a string breaks,etc.

Tom

Can't beleive no one mentioned this one, but one thing I have found MANY times... when playing live in an air conditioned club, you are backstage in the airconditioning, tuning... everything is good. Get on stage. Hot, close lights. Pretty damn hot (i hate em) You suddenly find yourself out of tune. The heat differences can more than slightly detune you. SOmetimes its pretty bad.
Stay out of the lights, and way from them if they are pretty close. Generally I can feel them burning hles in my back pretty quickly.
The 1st time I experienced the "why" of this phenomenon... we had acoustics, camping. I noticed that the sound, as I was playing, would change key nearly half a step when I'd turn certain angles towards the heat of the fire and then away towards the somewhat chilly night. Pretty fast, actually, and it doesnt change evenly across the board.
Keep it in mind.

One of the odder things I've noticed lately is that all my guitars seem to shift _UP_ while sitting idle.

They are sharp rather than flat when I tune up, at least according to my electronic tuners.

There's bound to be a simple explanation for this, but it doesn't occur to me offhand...

Back