static

Ziller

i seem to have a static issue in my studio. here's the deal

i have everything setup in my basement. the mixer and most other gear is set up on one of those long foldable tables. when playing, i stand or sit on a chair on a thin industrial type carpet on top of the cement.

I've noticed that often, after playing a while, i can just move my hand over the pickups on my guitar (not touch them), and get definite static sounds, you know, khhhsshhskkhssh. if i'm sitting, when i stand up, i get a definite static pop. goes away for a bit, then it's back.

anyone have any tips on static reducation, or similar woes that they've managed to deal with.

thanks

The static electricity is being created by your synthetic carpet. Always use natural fibres, like wool, in a studio.

I think you can purchase an antistatic spray from your local hardware, otherwise lay some natural fibre carpet over the existing.

cheers
john

Yep. Thats it :)

Working barefoot solves the problem too.

You can also ground the metal frame of the table, if your table is constructed in that manner, then touch it before you play guitar.

John Sayers said:
The static electricity is being created by your synthetic carpet. Always use natural fibres, like wool, in a studio.

I think you can purchase an antistatic spray from your local hardware, otherwise lay some natural fibre carpet over the existing.

cheers
john

thanks guys, i'll try both those things. i thought i could at least skimp on the carpet, if not the gear! so much for the $10 cheapo carpet. i'm sure i can find at least some small wool rug to lay down where i stand or sit, and i'll try grounding the table. it is metel with a fake wood, particle board top.

Back