Startng new studio - I NEED A FEEDBACK

ASTRAL_BABE

Hey, my name is Marion and a I'm a girl engineer. I am a longtime musician and I have recorded my stuff on my own for years. Finally, I have decided that I wanna step up, and start my own studio. So I upgraded my gear, and build the recording and mixing room.

Now I need your opinion on some songs, so I can know what should I improve.
So what do you think about it? (volume levels, EQ, Comprssion, Master, Openess, etc...)

BTW: band i recorded wanted lot of reverb to be involved, I would prefer little less.. but yeah :D

Gear & Plugins used:
Interface: RME Fireface
Preamp: SPL GoldMike
Comp: DBX 160, Waves Channel Strip
EQ: FABfilter, Waves Channel Strip
Master: iZotope, SSD FG-X

Mics: SM57, BETA57, AT2020, Shure Drum kit

https://soundcloud.com/user-861252045-966051625/fws

https://soundcloud.com/user-861252045-966051625/mol44

Thanks guys for feedback, and dont treat me like a girl :D

Marion

Oh, no... a girl on HR. This could cause chaos. Good luck, mate. Hope you don't get bombarded with bullshit messages (including this one!)

FWS:
I don't think there's enough separation between the guitars in the intro/verses.
The bass seems a bit quiet.
Vocals seem a bit loud to me in the chorus bits - maybe 'cos I was enjoying the guitar work.

All minor criticisms though - I like it!

Moll44:
The first guitar in the intro sounds a little ropey; not sure why - someone with a better ear than me will point it out I'm sure. It just sounds pretty flat to me. Low volume maybe?
Bass still seems quiet - I'm always guilty of this too.

On the whole both songs are well done though and the recording is a fuck of a lot better than anything I have ever done.

Sounds pretty great to me, I can't figure out if you're an extremely talented young person or an experienced person who sounds young haha. We're mostly home recordists here but there are a few folks who could give you tips at the level you're at.

I will say I agree with the band, I love the reverb and I wouldn't mind more. :D They have a great sound, reminds me a lot of Voxtrot.

First Welcome to HR Marion.

I think you have a good grasp on whats required to make decent recordings. In both songs everything sounds clear and nothing really sticks out as problematic except that the guitars are a tad too loud especially in the first song. They seem to be competing with the lead vox and making it a little muddy. I would say 1db-2db reduction would be a good place to start. I am sure listening to those swirly guitars 100X over and over makes your head spin. lol

On FWS, the vocals don't seem very clear. The cut through, but not very easy to understand. Good voice, just not cutting through clear enough.

I'm with Brut and DM60, on the first one the guitars are definitely overshadowing eht lead vocal, I couldn't understand the lyrics at all. On the second one, I think something needs to come down in the mix during the verse lyrics to make room for the lead vocal.

Back