Starting with nothing but a budget.

madh0us3

When I say nothing, I mean as far as recording equipment. I've been a musician for many (many) years and have been recorded a lot but I have never been behind the controls before.

I'm sure this has been posted here before but I didn't see it on the first few pages, so here goes:

I'm going to piece together what I need to record some songs I've written, one track at a time. I want to do it myself for once, take complete control of the writing process, and not have to deal with a band. I'm going to start small, no live drums, so I'm going to try to avoid a mixer or an interface with a bunch of inputs (unless it's cheap enough) for now. I'm hoping to go bass/guitar directly plugged into my setup - no amp/cabinet for either. I'm not even going to worry about a mic or vocals right away, I'll probably add a lot of sample type stuff and random audio clips (from movies) in lieu of vocals to begin with until I get more comfortable with the whole thing.

I'd like to get a decent sound quality, but I have no illusions that I'm going to record the next Britney Spears album.

I've got in my head right now that I'm going to get a computer (probably just a refurb with good enough RAM I can get cheap), a USB type audio interface, a preamp if the audio interface doesn't have that, and some software.

But as far as the interface, what's good? I was looking at M-Audio Fast Track Pro and USB models, but I'm seeing some negative reviews and things about people having trouble getting settings right due to less than great manuals and tech support. With me being new to the recording process and I'm looking for something that I will be able to figure out. I'm no slouch on a computer but I am a novice to running the recording stuff myself.

Then I was looking at Edirol UA-25EX, but that's a little on the top side of my price range. I'd be willing to spend the money (to a point) but if I can get good quality at a lesser price, I'd obviously prefer to do this. It has been my experience that with music/audio equipment, there are some things where more money does not equal better sound.

I don't foresee a need to have more than one input, as I'll never be recording more than one instrument at a time - or is there something I'm missing here?

I may very well buy used equipment so bundled software doesn't really matter to me. Unless the software is really highly recommended, that might get me to buy new.

And the software is a whole other thing. Figured I'd start with Reaper and see how that goes.

I NEED ADVICE!!

Thanks

What is your budget?
And how many tracks will you need?
A multitrack DAW might be better for you than buying a computer and interface and all of those other goodies. Then you can get some intense outboard gear.

What is your budget?
And how many tracks will you need?
A multitrack DAW might be better for you than buying a computer and interface and all of those other goodies. Then you can get some intense outboard gear.

Basically I was hoping to keep the interface/preamp under $200. That's my main concern at the moment, getting opinions on which ones are liked here. I read the copy/paste post I saw here a few times that seems to suggest the presonus firestudio mobile. $300 new is a little more that I was wanting to spend, but that post is just one guy's opinion. I'm willing to spend the $300 but only if the thing comes super highly recommended and I can be fairly sure that I won't get it and find it completely useless. I can't afford to waste $300.

Plus I'm not clear on if I can get by with just the interface and preamp or if I'll need more.

As for the multitrack, I've kind of got my heart set on a computer setup. I want a nice graphical view of my tracks, having the ability to drag, drop, copy, paste, whatever and wherever, and stuff like that. Plus, honestly, I'm just comfortable with computers.. I'm good at running a computer. Computers make sense to me whereas if I had a non-computer multitrack device, I'd be that much more in the dark when I started.

I don't foresee a need to have more than one input, as I'll never be recording more than one instrument at a time - or is there something I'm missing here?

Yes - that you may need to use more than one input to record a particular instrument.... you are making a classic noob error in deciding you know exactly how to record, when you probably don't. Whilst you may want to DI everything, whether this gets you the sound that you want is debatable.

Without knowing more about what type of music you wish to record, and what gear you actually already own, it's difficult to be more specific - especially on the DI guitar thing.

If they even make single channel interfaces, don't buy one. Get at least two - you will find a use for it even if you can't see it at this point.

In terms of software, Reaper is much used around here, so you can usually find help.

I wouldn't discount kidkage's advice about a multitracker machine either... I've used one for years and have neatly sidestepped the whole question of how to make the various bits of the recording chain play nice with your PC.

I'll make my usual plea to people who post questions like this.... you've played for years and years and presumably built up a level of skill and own some decent gear.... and now you want to get "good quality" recordings without spending a cent more than you have to... good luck with that. It doesn't have to be expensive, but give your skill and your gear a bit of respect by not buying the cheapest possible everything...

If you're expecting quality, then expect to spend at least $500 for basic capability. Unless you plan on converting everything to midi first and then back to synthesized sound. At which point you're probably still talking $500 for the computer and software stuff. But it really depends on how good is good enough. How many simultaneous channels and other things. And of course budget. But if you're truly starting with nothing, every little cable and adapter is going to add up quick. An interface can subtract the need for some of that stuff and save you on the big picture. But you're still going to need stuff. Above and beyond just an interface so budget accordingly.

I'd like to get a decent sound quality, but I have no illusions that I'm going to record the next Britney Spears album.

I've got in my head right now that I'm going to get a computer (probably just a refurb with good enough RAM I can get cheap), a USB type audio interface, a preamp if the audio interface doesn't have that, and some software.

Basically I was hoping to keep the interface/preamp under $200. That's my main concern at the moment, getting opinions on which ones are liked here. I read the copy/paste post I saw here a few times that seems to suggest the presonus firestudio mobile. $300 new is a little more that I was wanting to spend, but that post is just one guy's opinion. I'm willing to spend the $300 but only if the thing comes super highly recommended and I can be fairly sure that I won't get it and find it completely useless. I can't afford to waste $300.

Are you trying to get a computer and interface and other recording gear within $300?
You could certainly get some decent gear for that price, but getting a computer too could be a problem.

Back