starting points for reverb settings

HeatSinks

I use Audacity with the GVerb plugin for reverb. There are several options for customizing the reverb processing including room size, reverberation time, damping factor, input bandwith, first reflection level, and tail level. Of course, all of these settings will depend on the song, personal preference, singer's voice, etc., but as a noobie I'm a bit overwhelmed by these options. What settings would you start with for a tenor singer with a lousy voice (who knows better but still secretly holds out hope that reverb might make him sound a little less lousy).

Then after I have this starting point, what are the common parameters to tweak? e.g., If it sounds too ____, try increasing/decreasing the ____.

If it sounds too lousy, try increasing the amount of practice put into it.

Also, if it sounds like the right amount of wet signal, try decreasing it a little bit. Seriously.

Other than that, just experiment and you will know what the different options do. Try everything.

If it sounds too lousy, try increasing the amount of practice put into it.

Also, if it sounds like the right amount of wet signal, try decreasing it a little bit. Seriously.

Other than that, just experiment and you will know what the different options do. Try everything.

I actually laughed out loud on that one. Nice mad libs :)

But really, that's pretty damn good advice. Audition as many verbs as you can stand, then audition some more.

What really helped me was using a convolution reverb that takes impulse files (SIR, or ReaVerb, for instance). Google around and find some impulse files that model spaces that you want to try, load the impulse into the reverb plugin, and then the only parameter that you have to worry about is the wet/dry mix. All of the parameters that are overwhelming you are implicit in the actual spaces that are modeled. If you load an impulse created in a reverberant hall, or one in a small vocal booth, or one in a mid-sized "studio B" kind of space, well...they all have their own characteristics built into the impulse file.

but as a noobie I'm a bit overwhelmed by these options.

I don't know Audacity or Gverb, but I suggest you start with the presets and experiment. Change one parameter at a time and see what it does. A bad vocal take swimming in reverb won't sound any better. It's like giving a drunk person coffee expecting it to sober him when all you actually get is a wide-awake drunk!! :D

Here's a tip:
Set the reverb to where you think it sounds great,
then turn it down until you can just barely hear it,
then turn it down just a smidge more.

Unless, of course, you like vocals swimming in reverb (which can work nicely sometimes).

Oh, and Hook 'em Horns. :D

What really helped me was using a convolution reverb that takes impulse files (SIR, or ReaVerb, for instance). Google around and find some impulse files that model spaces that you want to try, load the impulse into the reverb plugin, and then the only parameter that you have to worry about is the wet/dry mix.

Yeah, I use ReaVerb with the impulse files suggested in the manual, and despite having 3 or 4 other 'recommended' reverb plug-ins, I always come back to ReaVerb. I like the St Nicholas Church and LaScala Opera House rooms the best. The only parameter that needs to be set is the predelay.

Try flipping through the presets. Once you find one that has the sound you are looking for, decide what would make it perfect. Most if the time it will be the tail length. The time is one of two parameters that really doesn't affect the tone. The other is predelay. All the rest will change the sound of the reverb.

Back