Starting out

jay_isaacs

November Phoenix
Hi everyone.

I am finally fulfilling a long time dream of setting up my own home recording setup.:D It will be a midi based setup using a Lexicon Alpha Desktop Recording Studio and cubase. I will be recording myself mainly with guitar, bass and vocal tracks with midi backing. My problem is, i have managed to get the equipment i need (mics, interface, leads, computer etc) on a very thin shoe-string budget. Now though, I am worried about the mixdown stage as I have no budget left for 'studio monitors'.:( Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get around this and achieve good results?:confused:

Now though, I am worried about the mixdown stage as I have no budget left for 'studio monitors'.:( Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get around this and achieve good results?:confused:

Don't worry about it. A reasonable set of headphones will keep you going for a while. Even those cheap 2.1 systems you can get for PCs will do the job for you.

If you are intelligent about how you use them you will soon learn what to do to get a reasonable mix; i.e. developing the mix on what you can afford, then burning it onto a CD and testing it in other systems. Also by playing commercial CDs on your system, and comparing them to what you do.

It's not an easy way of going about it, and it's not ideal, but if you've run out of money, well, you've run out and that's it. You work with what you've got and do your best.

There will come a time, though, when you will find this way of operating unsatisfactory and you will need to get something to remove the guesswork. Buy something affordable now, but start putting money aside for something more suitable later.

thanks for that Gecko. I had been reading all the other posts about quality 'studio monitors' and how 'you get what you pay for' and started to panic that I had wasted my time getting my gear together. I have included some Behringer HPM1000 Headphones in my budget so at least I have some decent monitoring.
I also have a spare set of speakers from an old stereo. Would it be worth trying to connect them to my interface as monitors?

I also have a spare set of speakers from an old stereo. Would it be worth trying to connect them to my interface as monitors?

Hi Jay

I'm in the same boat as you, and am using a combination of headphones and my Stereo speakers. I'm sure it's not ideal, but until I can afford a decent set of monitors it is serving me well! :)

thanks for that Gecko. I had been reading all the other posts about quality 'studio monitors' and how 'you get what you pay for' and started to panic that I had wasted my time getting my gear together. I have included some Behringer HPM1000 Headphones in my budget so at least I have some decent monitoring.

See if you can get the HPX2000 headphones instead (not much difference in price). I don't like the 1000s much, nor the 3000s, but the 2000s are something else.

By all means connect up your spare set of speakers. Like I said, they will get you going, even though not ideal.

Hi everyone.

I am finally fulfilling a long time dream of setting up my own home recording setup.:D It will be a midi based setup using a Lexicon Alpha Desktop Recording Studio and cubase. I will be recording myself mainly with guitar, bass and vocal tracks with midi backing. My problem is, i have managed to get the equipment i need (mics, interface, leads, computer etc) on a very thin shoe-string budget. Now though, I am worried about the mixdown stage as I have no budget left for 'studio monitors'.:( Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get around this and achieve good results?:confused:

headphones would work, but I would suggest use of an old stereo and some neutral bookshelf speakers. Not perfect, but a workable solution until you can get something else.

Ready to go!!!!

Right! Thanks for all the above advice everyone! I am finally ready! wahey!! My gear all arrived a few days ago and now i'm just about ready to go. I have gone for the Lexicon Lambda interface as it has audio and midi capabilities and included Cubase LE. All I need to complete my setup is a midi lead and i can start. I laid down a few little tester tracks last night and all seems ok. I used my headphones to monitor mostly but tried my 3.1 pc speakers in the monitor output on the lexicon and sound was good enough to get some basic feedback. So now i'm ready to record, what advice do you all have for a begiiner? Where do I start when it comes to actually getting a song recorded?

Start anywhere you want. usually getting the rhythm tracks down first helps. It helps to have the drums and bass locked together so the song will have a general feel when you go to put the melody and leads down.

Great! Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'm up and running. Recorded part one of my first composition last night with a mix of audio and midi. I'm now looking for some really good quality midi sounds (free if poss) like strings and drums etc.

Any recomendations?

Back