starting out sm58 question

Aware

Hi, I want to put a shure sm58 on a kick drum and since all the gear is partly owned by 4 people in the band the singer seems to think that the kick drum will cause damage to the sm58, is this true?

We basically have 6 sm58's between us which we where going to use on the whole kit, i know there's going to be bleed issues but later on we will get better mics for the job.

thanks

Thought as much myself, it's just that the singer is so far up his own ass everything he says is always right, now i just have to convince him that he's talking crap(like always)

thanks b/b

Blue Bear Sound said:
Unless you use the SM58 as a replacement beater for the kick, you're not going to damage it...

And even if you do, all you're gonna damage is the ball grill.

I've had a 58 that I've used at a (punk rock) venue for 4 years, 2 grills later it just keeps on going. My point is they're the toughest mics ever built and can be used to mic almost anything.

Setting up a show one day I came across a 58 that was completely flat on one side, it was shaped like a 'P' , even the body of the mic was slightly flattened on one side instead of round. As it turns out it had been run over by a flatbed truck that was loading speaker cabinets. Did it still work? Perfectly, although I chose not to use it that night.

Back