Starting from scratch---

Dave F

Dave here.... I have a Yamaha mixer and want to record live instruments down to a MAC that I have garageband on. That is what brings me here. How do I connect from the Yamaha powered mixer down to the laptop? I was told that I would need a usb interface to do a quality job so I bought a USB Dual Pre from ART. I now am even more confused. How do I hook all of this together and get a recording? Thanks for all your help.

Are you recording multiple instruments or mics at the same time? If only 1 or two, skip the mixer, plug the mic/instrument into the ART, then USB the ART to your computer.
IF you are trying to mix all the instruments/mics plugged into your mixer at one time (like a live performance), take the Main Out signals to the ART, then USB that to the computer.

Mike, there is a main left and right out on the Yamaha powered mixer. Do I plug these 1/4 inch jacks to the front of the ART? Would that give me stereo? Or, would I just hook up either a left or right? Big question too, where do I hook up the ART to the laptop? I am assuming that one end is stereo jack to the mic line of the computer, but where does it hook to the ART? Mike, thanks so much for your help....also heard your song....great stuff!

Need More Help With Basic Recording Setup

Dave here.... I have a Yamaha mixer and want to record live instruments down to a MAC that I have garageband on. That is what brings me here. How do I connect from the Yamaha powered mixer down to the laptop? I was told that I would need a usb interface to do a quality job so I bought a USB Dual Pre from ART. I now am even more confused. How do I hook all of this together and get a recording? Thanks for all your help.
Mike Replied….
Are you recording multiple instruments or mics at the same time? If only 1 or two, skip the mixer, plug the mic/instrument into the ART, then USB the ART to your computer.
IF you are trying to mix all the instruments/mics plugged into your mixer at one time (like a live performance), take the Main Out signals to the ART, then USB that to the computer.
I replied back to Mike….
Mike, there is a main left and right out on the Yamaha powered mixer. Do I plug these 1/4 inch jacks to the front of the ART? Would that give me stereo? Or, would I just hook up either a left or right? Big question too, where do I hook up the ART to the laptop? I am assuming that one end is stereo jack to the mic line of the computer, but where does it hook to the ART?

I still need help from the last reply…..any takers?

You need a 'soundcard' (A/D converter) to move any analog input into your computer (digital domain). Apparently your mixer does not have that functionality (evidenced by the existence of a USB, S/PDIF, or Firewire/1394 port on the mixer). The ART USB Pre does have that functionality but it apparently (I don't own one) does NOT have D/A converters so it will not drive external analog monitors.

The ART has preamps, as does the Yamaha mixer. I would only plug the Yamaha into the ART if you could bypass the pres on the Yamaha, otherwise you're going to be feeding a line level signal into a device that is expecting a weak mic signal. I would not expect the ART to respond favorably.

Forget about the Yamaha, plug your mics directly into the ART. You should have a USB cable with one end kind of square and one end flat and wide and corresponding ports on the ART and the computer.

Luck.

Thanks.....I understand the two mics going into the ART, and that a rca stereo jack will plug into the laptop, but where does it go OUT from the ART? The one cord will have a stereo jack on one end going to the laptop, so what will the other end be going to the ART? Also, I will already have the one cord with a USB end going to the laptop, and the other end with the square looking end (as you had mentioned) going into the ART, but I thought this was for power only?

I will try this right away.....thanks Kevin. To use my Yamaha mixer for recording, what would I need to go between it and the laptop?
Again, thanks so much for the help.

I will try this right away.....thanks Kevin. To use my Yamaha mixer for recording, what would I need to go between it and the laptop?
Again, thanks so much for the help.

Actually nothing comes to mind offhand. Were you using a box with a PCI buss I'd suggest a 1010LT but for USB I've no idea. Not in to gear like I used to be

Edit: Maybe a Tascam US800. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

The ART USB Dual Pre does work as an interface. It takes the audio and converts to digital, that signal is transmitted via USB to your computer. The spec description I read at Sweetwater does not say it is Win7 compatible, but the description may be old.
You plug the left and right output of the Yamaha into the left and right input on the front of the ART, or just plug mics straight into the ART.

As has been mentioned, the close-out Tascam US-800 is a better deal for $20 more ($99 at Amazon, if still available), as it will transmit 6+ channels simultaneously to your computer via USB 2.0 (the ART is USB 1.1).

Do some reading of the many, many threads in this forum that explain the recording process - there's nothing you're struggling with that every noob before you hasn't. You'll save yourself a lot of time and typing once you understand about how mics work, what preamps do, what AD conversion is, phantom power, why you probably don't need a mixer at all etc etc etc.

Lots of good stuff here.

Welcome aboard.:)

Mike
I started the same thread in a different are because it didn't seem right here, where you introduce yourselves. I should have probably asked a moderator to delete this or edit it. Sorry for the confusion.

The Newbies forum isn't just for introducing yourself...it's where guys who are just getting started come to ask questions.

You're in the right place.

I now have everything hooked up, and with levels on the garageband, but how do I keep the main speakers from feeding back into the microphone?

Thanks Mike, but if I turn down the volume for the speakers, then won't my levels go down for the recording? I know this is pretty simple stuff, but I do appreciate any help here.
Dave

Back