starting from scratch... new PC suggestions

jake the snake

santa is bringing me ewql complete composers collection for christmas. not sure what good things i did this year but i sure as hell am not gonna argue with the fat bastard.

anyway... i am inevitably heading into the realm of a new music-dedicated computer. something to stay OFFLINE and handle only my music production.

i am a pc guy.. not a fan of mac.
looking for some suggestions on a dream pc. topped with soundcard, and RAM ideas.

thanks

Jake, cant go wrong with AMD 6 core rig. You didnt mention if you were looking for a store bought/ready to go rig, or if you were building your own. I built my own and this is what I am using. Works awesome!
Amd 6 core, 8 gigs DDR1600 ram, SSD drive for op system/misc programs, 1 TB drive for storage, Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
For the sound card, I choose M-Audio 2496 - works perfect for my setup.
Also threw in a nice video card just in case I want to game:)

Chris

i have to admit, i know next to nothing about computer tech stuff. it is a bit overwhelming to me.

if there is a store bought rig that is suitable i think it may be better for me to go that route.

im looking for something to grow into... im currently doing all my production ITB... running addictive drums, pod farm, EWQL, and reaper... and my vst list is growing every day.

Hey Jake, if going store-bought route, find a decent dual-core at the minimum. Make sure that it has expansion capabilities for the add-on sound card and RAM. You can always plug in a bigger hard drive as needed. AMD sells decent processors for a lot less than Intel. Just my opinion on that of course. My 6 core proc ran $200 when I bought that, and imagine it will be a long time before I need to upgrade. Nothing against Intel, I have built a lot of boxes with Intel, but for MY buck , AMD is just fine. Good luck in you PC search-lots of deals coming out in time for XMAS ! :D

Chris

I'm in the process of a PC build, only a few bits left to get now!

What i've got so far though :-

Gigabyte 890FXA-UD7 Motherboard (gigabyte is the way forward if you need to use firewire)
AMD x6 3.2Ghz Black Edition
8gb 1280 DDR3 (on 2 sticks so if i want to upgrade i can slam another 2 in!)

A few other pieces as well, but those bits are the MEAT of the system. Next on the list of what to get is an OCZ PCI-E SSD for my system. That drive is going to FLY!
As of storage for audio, i'm planning on this system being at the heart of my very own pro studio when i've got all my equipment up to scratch, and i've got my eye on a 5 bay hot-swappable sata drive bay for the front of the PC. Takes up 3 drive bays and It means I can basically use sata drives like cd's almost :D Different one for each project.

I would recommend building your own for more reasons than I can think of!

Vinnydude-nice system.! You will like the 6 core proc. What are you using for op system?? The SSD drive will be a nice addition as well! I use a 60 gig SSD and really like the speed:)

I already own XP Pro and I'd really like to stick with that and just install 64bit, but i get a horrible feeling I'm going to have to splash out on Win7 to unleash the beasts full potential. This is going to ire me for some time too cause I find the UI of Win7 horrible!!! :P

Lol, I hear ya on the Win 7. I use ultimate on my own rig, and have some BSOD issues every once and awhile. Narrowed down to a driver issue, but as of yet, havent been able to cure. Ughhh! Other than that, I dont mind it. XP Pro still rocks!

I suggets looking at ADK computers. Custom made for audio. I have a mid-high spec laptop from them and it's wonderful. Scott is very helpful.

Ethereal, which laptop did you purchase from them? I just purchased a 1q AR.

Jake, can't you customize the UI on Windows 7 to classic, to give you that "XP" feel?

Ethereal, which laptop did you purchase from them? I just purchased a 1q AR.

Jake, can't you customize the UI on Windows 7 to classic, to give you that "XP" feel?

Yes you can customize the UI.

I got the 7600, with 8GB RAM, i5 540m processor, 500GB. It's lovely :)

Back