Starting an Analog Studio on a Budget...

I've heard many albums recorded with all 100 percent authentic vintage equipment that all still sound very modern despite the commitment to make it sound as authentically vintage as possible.

Try to imagine what you are really hearing and how to forcefully replicate that with your own equipment vs thinking that vintage equipment will always get you an "old" sound.

Keep recording and playing around with mic placement and try to get a good sound with what you have.

Exactly what I'm saying too.

I'll say this: If you can't get the sounds with your 22-4, a basic Tascam mixer, a handful of dynamic mics (ie: SM-57 or their cheap alternatives GLS ES-57), a cheap compressor, acoustically treated rooms (cheap solutions like blankets etc...) then no amount of "other" gear will help you.

To illustrate further, I am of the opinion that if you gave Sir George Martin or any other legendary music producer something like a Tascam 4 track cassette and a handful of cheap dynamics, you'd still get a recording that people would die for. On the other hand, give a monkey a world class 100K studio with 2" tape machines and "vintage" outboard gear and it's gonna sound like shit.

My point is to better use the time to hone your skills as a musician and recording engineer.

Last edited:
What about the Michael Joly Gomez Cascade? I was convinced that Cascade would be great and affordable, but no? My Oktava IS an older Russian made model, but it does have a (noiseless) Chinese power supply, I've been to the Oktavamod site, and looked at modding it, but I'm hesitant, I don't wanna throw my money away, does it really make that much of a dif?

The Michael Joly Cascade would be different because he actually puts a good transformer in it, but it would still be a different animal than a Beyer or an old Shure. Buy all three! :)

Mine started its life like yours. The noiseless Chinese power supply doesn't provide the same voltage as the Russian Tula one so there goes 30% of your tone. The mod was a substantial difference.

Those Tascam p/bays are the model with RCA connectors on the back, you're probably better watching for some with 1/4" jack sockets.

Please take heed of the advice given by others here, especially "if you gave Sir George Martin or any other legendary music producer something like a Tascam 4 track cassette and a handful of cheap dynamics, you'd still get a recording that people would die for. On the other hand, give a monkey a world class 100K studio with 2" tape machines and "vintage" outboard gear and it's gonna sound like shit."...........your recording space/environment, the players performance, the instruments and mic placements, etc., are all going to have a huge influence on the end result. Chasing "vintage" gear in an effort to get "a sound" is a waste of energy that could be better directed.

:cool:

Please take heed of the advice given by others here, especially "if you gave Sir George Martin or any other legendary music producer something like a Tascam 4 track cassette and a handful of cheap dynamics, you'd still get a recording that people would die for. On the other hand, give a monkey a world class 100K studio with 2" tape machines and "vintage" outboard gear and it's gonna sound like shit."...........your recording space/environment, the players performance, the instruments and mic placements, etc., are all going to have a huge influence on the end result. Chasing "vintage" gear in an effort to get "a sound" is a waste of energy that could be better directed.

:cool:

+1!

Most of the 60's R&B, Motown recordings sounded like pure ass because they were mixing for mono AM radio playback which had over compressed, mid range heavily saturated and distorted sound quality. The vocals were the key element and the mix levels of them topped out over the rest of the music and most of that sound was purely based on the mixing and the classic hook lines in the music. The gear had very little to do with it as the same era produced music from the Doors, The Beatles and many others which strived for a fuller sound with much of the same equipment.

Cheers! :)

I recently got into recording analog and am a huge fan of old 60s, 70s music. What I've learned is that it aint easy. You should probably go for a earlier Teac. From what I've recorded in the 3 months I'd say the sound I got is what you might want. I dont have fancy ass mics or anything. I LOVE the way the drum set sounds in my recording. Think like this..."SHITTY IS PRETTY" (the truth I tell yah) I also want to re-create something that would be played in the mid late 60s to the 70s. I've been told that the music I write sounds like something no one has ever heard. No one can put a finger on the era/genre, even though Im inspired by the late 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, and some 90s. But then again some people told me it sounds like It would be on the radio in the 70s. But who knows? Do you have any recordings of your songs? I would love to hear...

great googa mooga!
Sounds very early 60s. Love the piano, ahhhh:D!

Thanks man, there pretty rough those recording, but in line with what I want. I learned that shitty is pretty long ago, but not all the time. I've found that getting the sounds I want is never easy, but there are always tricks that help along the way for sure.

Thanks man, there pretty rough those recording, but in line with what I want. I learned that shitty is pretty long ago, but not all the time. I've found that getting the sounds I want is never easy, but there are always tricks that help along the way for sure.

I completely missed that link. I'm impressed. If I didn't know otherwise I'd have thought they were recorded around 1963.

I completely missed that link. I'm impressed. If I didn't know otherwise I'd have thought they were recorded around 1963.

Thanks man, since I'm the one who recorded them, I hear them with a different ear than someone else, the fact that you think they sound legit is very affirming.
For anyone who missed the link to my recordings, CLICK HERE. What I was saying earlier was that it's hard to tell which one I made Analog, and which one was Digital, just to show that I am not just buying into the hype of analog, and that I also like, and am not against digital. I'm just a nut like the rest of you, and I want analog!

I recently got into recording analog and am a huge fan of old 60s, 70s music. What I've learned is that it aint easy. You should probably go for a earlier Teac. From what I've recorded in the 3 months I'd say the sound I got is what you might want. I dont have fancy ass mics or anything. I LOVE the way the drum set sounds in my recording. Think like this..."SHITTY IS PRETTY" (the truth I tell yah) .

So you think the drums sound shitty on the 3340???? :confused:

I have to disagree with that.

here it is

Here it is, under appreciated and inexpensive, becoming more and more rare with each passing year, tiny and toy-like but with a strange dark mid-fi character that can make any sound source seem interesting punchy and fat....

...behold! (not my auction)

http://cgi.ebay.com/joe-Meek-VC3Q-M...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a586d8460

Although you may have an LA2A or 2 layin around, 100 bucks for this little guy is WELL WORTH IT! Especially if you like peculiar sounds or are just a beginner looking for some 60s-ish vibe or Perry and Kingsley-type tones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM0NjU-8rmw&feature=related

I love the song its great. I just think you need to raise the vocals. Lets be friends do you have any social networking account? I love your style and as of right now im working on my demo

yeah man. My name is René Wilson, search that on facebook. Im from Edmonton Ab, Canada. Should show up on there as that.

Back