Starting a new job; what should I look at for upgrading?

MrWrenchey

Because I'm looking to upgrade ANYTHING, I didn't know whether to post this in mics or the rack or what... But here we are.
I'm coming into a sum of $2500 this month after starting a new job, and I'm curious what I should drop the cash on. I'm looking at purchasing an SM7b and a 3 pack of e604s (I'll post a list of all my gear at the end of this), but aside from that, I dunno what to get.
Preamp? Compressor? Control surface? Plug-ins? I'm not sure!
To help you understand what exactly I'm working with, the music scene in my city is almost ALL metal/hardcore/pop-punk, so I'll be looking for equipment good for that style (which is why I'm going with an SM7b for vocals).
Suggestions please?

My gear:
Firestudio Project
Behringer Composer compressor
Audix D6
SM57
Samson C02 (pair)
AKG Perception 220
Computer (3.5 Ghz Quad-core/eight-thread, 8 GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 1TB HDD)
Pro Tools 10

I'll save Massive Master a trip and ask you about your monitoring chain and room treatment.
How you getting on there?

SM7b is great to have, since you mention it.
Also, I upgraded my c02s to sm81s and couldn't be happier. All comes down to how you feel about them though.

Haha, I figured someone would say it.
I don't have anything in the ways of monitoring really. Just some crappy 2.5" computer speakers from the 90's (I like to think of them as an Auratone substitute). Given that much money, I'd love to get a decent pair of monitors, but I'm not sure what'd be a good pair. Suggestions on that?
I don't have a WHOLE lot of options for room treatment. I'm in a basement with really oddly shaped walls. When I move into a new apartment, that may change, but for now, there's not a much that can be done...

Yamaha hs80 seems to be a popular choice in its price range.

If I were you I would sell the Behringer and Samsons to increase the budget and buy something nicer. Pair of Oktava MC 012 for example :)

I don't know where you use you use your AKG, but I tend to use my Perception 200 on floor tom. Sounds nice so far. :)

Send that presonus to get modded by Jim Williams upgrade those op amps on the output and inputs will make a huge difference in sound. Then get a Chameleon Labs 7602 MKII. That should hold you off for a bit with that new mic. Also Check Studio One Pro 2 great daw for mixing and mastering.

Back