Starter Rack?

+1 for Matt

Why are rack units a bad idea at the home user price point?? To use them, you have two options: 1) Bring the signal through them on the way in to your computer; or 2) Record your signal dry, then re-amp through your rack.

The first is a problem because once you record a track it's permanent and and any processing you do is "printed to tape". You would have to retrack if you find you used too much compression or eq'd it wrong or something like that. The second is a problem because it involves going through two more conversion steps which always adds a little more noise. Plus, as Matt said, the advantage just isn't going to be there with prosumer level gear. The pro studios will do it because they spend the money on pristine converters and their rack gear is high-end stuff.

I second the notion of getting the UAD stuff. I love the plugs, they make a notable difference.

imho... cheers,

Matt pretty much said the same thing, And i agree now that i get more of an idea of what they really are. Thank you for your help Chili :)

You've got an sm57 - good
A dmp3 - good
An OK 4 channel interface.

I'd suggest expanding your mic collection before thinking about a rack.

I will definately take that into consideration. In fact i don't even think i want a rack anymore, so what i'm planning to do is buy pro tools if it works with my computer (Windows 7) And then buy the hell outta mics :)

Just remember that if you buy Pro Tools you're stuck with DigiDesign products. For some people, that's not an issue but personally, I think ProTools is over rated and restrictive and DigiDesign products are shit. There are many many other DAWs out there that have the same functionality as ProTools and many that are much more efficient ( productivity wise, system resource wise, and in terms of over all cost) and many that don't have the same bullshit interface restrictions that Pro Tools does. I personally use Sony Acid Pro 7 mostly but I also use Cakewalk Sonar 8 on occassions. I find that both programs are easier to use than ProTools and I've never run into anything that ProTools can do that either of the other two can't.

It ultimately comes down to what you prefer, to what makes you feel comfortable and enables you to make the product you want, but don't get caught up in the ProTools "because it's fucking ProTools" craze. Do your research, try demos and find what you're confortable with and find the DAW that is going to allow you to use the hardware and software you want/need to use.

Last edited:
Just remember that if you buy Pro Tools you're stuck with DigiDesign products. For some people, that's not an issue but personally, I think ProTools is over rated and restrictive and DigiDesign products are shit. There are many many other DAWs out there that have the same functionality as ProTools and many that are much more efficient ( productivity wise, system resource wise, and in terms of over all cost) and many that don't have the same bullshit interface restrictions that Pro Tools does. I personally use Sony Acid Pro 7 mostly but I also use Cakewalk Sonar 8 on occassions. I find that both programs are easier to use than ProTools and I've never run into anything that ProTools can do that either of the other two can't.

It ultimately comes down to what you prefer, to what makes you feel comfortable and enables you to make the product you want, but don't get caught up in the ProTools "because it's fucking ProTools" craze. Do your research, try demos and find what you're confortable with and find the DAW that is going to allow you to use the hardware and software you want/need to use.

I'm going to have disagree with the whole "Pro tools sucks ass" thing. I have the Demo, the demo sucks, your very limited so i was like eff this and bought mixcraft. But after watching Youtube vids on it, its very amazing...in my eyes. It's not limited to Digidesign, you can use M-Audio products like the Fast Track Pro for example..

I'm going to have disagree with the whole "Pro tools sucks ass" thing. I have the Demo, the demo sucks, your very limited so i was like eff this and bought mixcraft. But after watching Youtube vids on it, its very amazing...in my eyes. It's not limited to Digidesign, you can use M-Audio products like the Fast Track Pro for example..

This is very true. But I have heard many complaints about ProTools not always playing nice with M Audio product particularly their lower end products. I can't honestly say because I've never personally used M Audio with ProTools. Regardless, like I said in my firsT post, it's about what you're comfortable with and what allows you to get the end result you are looking for. If that is ProTools for you, great! My only point was don't jump to ProTools because it's got this undeserved (in my opinion mind you) status as "the industry standard" in terms of DAW applications. I don't carr what you decide to go with and I have no stake in your decision. I just think if you're going to shell the money you should understand all the options so you don't end up with a $400 piece of software that doesn't get used. Good luck and let me know how everyhing works out for you.

so you're limited to M-audio and Digidesign (i could've sworn they were part of the same company? idk) have you ever heard of Cubase? i'd say its just as good as Pro Tools, and no restrictions for hardware, give the demo a try

This is very true. But I have heard many complaints about ProTools not always playing nice with M Audio product particularly their lower end products. I can't honestly say because I've never personally used M Audio with ProTools. Regardless, like I said in my firsT post, it's about what you're comfortable with and what allows you to get the end result you are looking for. If that is ProTools for you, great! My only point was don't jump to ProTools because it's got this undeserved (in my opinion mind you) status as "the industry standard" in terms of DAW applications. I don't carr what you decide to go with and I have no stake in your decision. I just think if you're going to shell the money you should understand all the options so you don't end up with a $400 piece of software that doesn't get used. Good luck and let me know how everyhing works out for you.

I respect your opinion :)
I will definately do some more research, and reinstall the friggin lame Demo that came with Fast track pro haha

If you have extra money to spend, try upgrading your monitors rather than buying some random rack stuff that you don't really need at the moment. I don't know what kind you are using at the moment but a good set of monitors is priceless when it comes to mixing. How can you enjoy the sound of your new equipment when you can't hear how it actually sounds? IMO If you still feel the need to buy some new equipment afterwards definitely go with the best Mic Preamp's you can afford.

For what its worth I think that in general, outboard gear can be handy but is just not necessary.

You have to ask yourself what you're going to be actually using it for.

Compression: You should only really compress stuff on the way in if it's absolutely necessary and if you really know what you're doing - its really hard to uncompress an over-compressed sound once it's on disk. And you just confuse things if you don't get the comp settings right.

Eq: I think eq can be really handy on the way in but once again, if you get it wrong you're fighting hard to undo your mistakes once it's committed.

Reverb: No. I wouldn't put reverb on anything on the way in. I really think thats for the mixing stage - not tracking.

When I started I got a few bits of outboard stuff but now I barely use it. Gates are handy but eq only rarely and only in small amounts.

Back