Started out simple enough

bd!!!!!!

Good to see a LIVE approach.
You say you did a lot after you were done tracking, I can't say I'm noticing too much.
Pretty even recording, sounds very natural, "sitting on the couch of your living room listening to you play and sing" kind of feel.

The song has CONTENT too.
Well done Bd:cool:

Dan

Thanks freshears, but after trying the one take thing several times, I just gave up and had to add a "cover track". I really wish I did sound that good live. I will admit that the cover track was minimal but I had some pretty major clams in there and the vox turned out pretty good so I just hid the clams with a little fill.

Hevy, I really appreciate the fact that you noticed the content. I kept it as close to original as I could, just added some reverb on the vox and did some selective editing. What started out to be a quick little project wasn't so quick though. It's just aggravating to have an idea and have so much trouble making it come to life. I'm still gaffin a lot on the guitar. That pisses me off more than anything.

Thanks for listening guys.

bd

Sounds good for the most part. The vocals sounded stronger during the chorus then the verses -- imho --

Your vocal sound is different which is a good thing. I think they could be a little more stronger at times (confidence level??) -- but that is just my opinion and doesn't count for much.

It sounds like you achieved the live feel...

Nice job!

:D

Thanks for the listen boydrj, not a lack of confidence.... the original intent was more of a whisper at the beginning but that was one of the things that just didn't work out as planned. The vox simply aren't loud enough especially in the beginning. Funny, the mic I used will pick up the wing beat of a gnat @ 30yds. not to mention all the farts, wheezing, air squeezin outta the stool, guitar rubbing against the shirt, and all those other unwanted sounds.... it just didn't work for the whisper. Thanks again man.

bd

bdbdbuck said:
not to mention all the farts, wheezing, air squeezin outta the stool, guitar rubbing against the shirt, and all those other unwanted sounds....

bd

:D LMAO :D Ain't recording a bitch sometimes? :D:D

bdbdbuck said:

Given that I still suck on the guitar and my guitar needs new pots.

bd

Oh............................................................

so that's not GOOD guitar playing??

could have fooled me man.. :D

You are in tune and in time....
that my friend is an accomplishment all unto itself..... ;)

I think the guitar has no bottom...I would maybe warm it up a bit....maybe just a tad of verb ...

Vox is good but levels seem to go in and out...
maybe try compressing a bit....albeit you will lose the great dynamics I hear in this performance...

Vocals heve to be the toughest thing to track...next to drums anyways :D

I like the song BD....good story telling man...
not a happy song but, a good song....ya know?
great hook also...very cool. Kudos man,
Joe

joro,
Thanks for the vote of confidence Joe. I'm just basically comparing myself to my FORMER self. Not much I can do about it though, I just don't get much time to practice lately. Every time I sit down to practice, I end up writing a tune and end up with MORE stuff to record!
BTW...I DID write a little tune (with a few lyrics) on the guitar when I went to Ohio but I haven't had time to record what I have yet to get it to you. It's a prison blues tune, I think you'll like it. Although my wife thinks it's a little too "ethnic" if you will. I'll try to get something done soon to get it to you.

Thanks for listening,
bd

Vocal Headroom

Don't cheat us out of the vocal, consult your meters. Your guitar playing is very nice ... but the lead instrument is the vocal. Later, as you warm up vocally, the vocal level approaches where it should be. At 2:52 this is good, but you are out of headroom on the vocal and at 3:02 I hear the technical limit of the mic ... the dreaded overdriving of the mic ?

- Chant Starts -

Headroom, headroom, headroom .....

The guitar playing is fine. But don't let that stop you from improving!

Nice song too man. Do you have anyway of EQing the mix over all? I think a small cut from the mids would help a bit.

The tune makes me think Dylan meets Tom Waits. Great brew pub music. I'd like to hear this live while I'm eating a good sandwich and drinking a nice amber with friends on a summer evening. Oh what the hell, we're on the beach too...

Good tune!

bdbdbuck, the tune is great, the guitar sounds wonderful, and the vocal conveys the feeling of the song very well. I agree with studioviols, the vocal level gets better as the song goes on. The level was a little low at first. For my money, this is a huge improvement on your other MR8 recordings. You really are starting to make it happen in that little red box. Great job man. :)

Studioviols,
I went back to the drawing board to see what I could do... I did have some separation there to work with. I did what I could, but I picked up some pick noise and misc. garbage... I can live with it though. Thanks for the listen and the chant.

SLuiCe,
Thanks for the props man! I did some tweeking but I wasn't real sure exactly where to cut. Maybe give another listen to see if I screwed it up more. Pass me the bottle opener will ya.

morindae,
Thanks for the listen man, I did some volume envelope stuff on the vox, but I had the guitar stuff bleedin through.... some of the gaffs I was tryin to cover up are more audible now, but I think the vox are better though. Thanks for the compliments.

bd

nice classic sounding tune! It's encoded at 96kbps and I can't tell if the mix problems I hear are because of the low encoding.. you should put up a 128 at least.. the harsh vocal spikes might be exaggerated by the low encode.. good songwriting!

Nice song. Your gtr playing was fine. Not sure if its bit rate issues, but the vocals sounded like too much effect. I dont know, it does sound like the MP3 low bit rate sound. You definantly have strong vocals. Nice work for being live though.
Great from the heart lyrics.

'lovely tune...singin and pickin. I`d bring the vocal even more out front and above the guitar. It seems like you play a lot on the guitar to compensate for it being by itself. I think you could lay back and play a little less except during the intense sections. There`s a big black canvas of silent space behind you that makes a nice canvas for the guitar and voice to be displayed.

B.SABBATH,
Thanks for listening. I'll try to get this re-encoded to see if that helps... I don't have a lot of confidence that it will. The whole thing just seems harsh sounding to me. I appreciate the compliment for the songwriting. It wasn't too hard to write as I'm no stranger to the predicament myself.... I mean, a long time ago.

Myx62,
Thanks for the spin, I thought you might like it. I'm gonna try going 128kbps and see if that helps.

Toki,
I know what you're saying about the guitar, and you're absolutely right! I have always subscribed to the "less is more" thing, but got bogged down in trying to polish a turd. I really should start from scratch again, but I need to replace the pots on my guitar first... getting a real nasty buzz that is evident throughout the tune. Thanks for the listen and the props man!

bd

Quality... great fingerpicking... encoding problems? Some swhshshssh....

Great performance. This is really very... very musical. The recording is just a scratch anyway, eh? Very SELLABLE. Imagine what "crawdad" could do with this... with his inimitable "studio magic" :D

(yep... volunteered somebody again :D)

Great emotion. Hey, this is a "5" all the way... to hell with the recording :D

Not sure this mix could get better without a retracking, but you've got some good suggestions in this thread already.

Excellent songwriting.

Chad

nice work here........given the encoding, it's hard to suggest mix tips as what we're hearing probably isn't what you're hearing.......but that being said........my two suggestions would be......1) vocals could probably come up a bit, particularly in the first couple lines....2) the acoustic is very well, but not very organic sounding, which could be nice for a song like this....it sounds a little d.i. (not sure if it is, but that's what it sounds like)

very nice tune...good vocals too

:cool:

Mark;

Excellent tune, Bro! Good emotion in the Vox and great geetar pickin.

How ya doin with Red Horse for the Live thing?

CR ><>

Back