Start-up sound sound set

BobHaymond

I have been getting a DAW together for a while. I like its features [Athlon 1.4G,512, couple of SCSI's,Win2K,Delta 1010,Sonar XL]. I had intended using GigaStudio but there seem to be conflicts between that and the W2K. My question to guys here, is what sound sets would you reccommend for me to start with? I'll be inputting MIDI with a keyboard controller [which has no sounds] Have any of you used the "Overly Sexy Soundfont" mentioned on ProRec?

Any help appreciated.

If you are asking if soundfonts are generally sexy then the answer is yes! Some are just brilliant. Opened up a whole new world to me when I learnt about them. I am going to buy an evolution midi controller so I can use them in my music. At present I can use virtual piano and my qwwerty k/b only, but they still sound great.

Hope that helps.

Paul

Thanx for the reply. Actually, on the ProRec.com BBS they have a thread about a free download of the "overly sexy soundfont". It is highly tauted and I wondered if others had experience with it.

I have the 2-octave evolution controller.

Hi Bob,

I checked out the thread, a couple of negatives but otherwise sounds okay. But 191 Meg! I guess you just have to download it and let us know what you think. I am just wary of soundfonts proposing to be the Holy Grail. Too good to be true. Read Ethan Winners articles on soundfonts in ProRec and you'll see why they are so difficult to meet perfection.

Are you pleased with your Evolution?

Regards

Paul

Paul,

> But 191 Meg! I guess you just have to download it and let us know what you think. <

That's the Maestro Malmsj piano SoundFont, right? I downloaded it and it's pretty good. It sounds more like an upright than a grand, and it's not the most "beautiful sounding" piano I've ever heard. But it has an interesting realism that is very appealing.

--Ethan

Hey Ethan, thanks for joining us. Yes it is. As I said, there were some negatives but without d/loading, it is difficult to tell. Thats why Bob was asking in the first place I guess. At 191 meg its a long download to figure if its worth having!

In your opinion, what is the best grand piano soundfont that you have found? And incidently, have Creative solved the 32 meg max soundfont file limitation yet for the Live! card? Does this mean that you cannot load any s/f larger than 32 meg?

Last edited:
Paul,

> At 191 meg its a long download to figure if its worth having! <

Yeah, unless you have cable modem or DSL. :)

> In your opinion, what is the best grand piano soundfont that you have found? <

There's no one best of anything. But the piano I reach for first is the Yamaha P200 from the Fluid SoundFont. It's absolutely clean and clear, bright yet full, without a hint of the nasal quality that plagues so many piano samples.

> have Creative solved the 32 meg max soundfont file limitation yet for the Live! card? <

Yes, it's called the Audigy. But even with an SB Live you can LOAD more than 32 MB of SoundFonts. It's just that you can't PLAY them all at once. And if one instrument is very large, like the Maestro Malmsj piano, you can't even play the entire range of notes. On my Audigy that piano loads and plays fine.

--Ethan

Back