Stands

EveTan

I bought my Rode Nt1a mic a couple of months ago. Finally getting serious here. Been lazy for these months. The problem is, I need some sort of stand to hold it up. Right now, it's lying sideways in its shockmount. Any ideas for an affordable stand/whatever to hold it up. I'm not too well versed in mics but I guess that's why I'm here :D. Anyways, I plan on recording vocals mainly. Might want to also record my acoustic guitar once I learn how to play it. Would the stand be different? lower etc? And I'm also not too sure if this is the right section...oh well

If quality is important to you, then look at K&M (König and Meyer) stands. They are heavy and solid and are really durable. Something like the K&M 21060 might do the job.

Paul

Edit. Sorry, should add that these are NOT especially cheap. I think the 21060 goes for around $100. But I reckon everyone should have at least one decent stand.

K&M stands are great and also QK2C Microphone Clip Quick Release are super helpful. Ultimate Support Pro-T-T stands are also nice and re a bit cheaper than the K&M.

Wow, these are a little pricy. I didn't expect that sort of price for just a stand. My recordings will just be low end home recordings. nothing much. Is there a cheaper alternative? I see many sub 30 dollar ones in Guitar Center/Amazon. I'm not sure I can justify myself spending 80+ on a stand...if you get what I mean.

Quite by accident I stumbled onto a Manfrotto Nano stand with an Ultimate Support boom arm. The Nano is marketed as a lighting stand but it has an impressive height range from really low to do-I-really-want-my-mic-that-high, the legs can be adjusted to fit into tight corners (albeit at the cost of some stability), and it's amazing how little space it takes up when collapsed for travel.

I spend about £30 on my stand. Just needed something solid enough that wouldn't fall over every time the wind blew through the room. =P
Also has plenty of fiddly bits to get into the right position. Always comes in handy. =D

I also like the K&M stands, the problem with cheap stands is that condenser mics are heavy, the stand only has to fall over once for the mic to be damaged.

Alan.

In all seriousness, a good mic deserves a good stand... if only to prevent it from toppling over. I have, in a pinch, slid a ten pound free weight plate down on the upright to give the stand more stability for a heavier condenser on a boom

Back