Standpunt - song from a Dutch hip-hop band- please review!

Good mix. Good recording. Interesting tune. Kind of 70's Philly soul meets Dr Dre. New to my ears. That's good.

My nit: the guitar: way too hot, interferes w/ vocal. And the line 'behind' the verse, and the chord fugures in the chorus, need work, I think. Reference old James Brown records for some funk guitar figures to add to the groove, and not lay lazy on it. A funk-chop guitar with wahwah would put it over the top. As it stands, it sounds like a wedding-band guitar.

Thanks jeff.

So you mean that the guitar line behind the verse and the guitar chords during the chorus are just too loud? Or something else?

Yeah. Too loud....and:

Most hiphop records I hear use a continuous line like that with a high-pitched synth...way in the background. But there's an essential element missing in the construction, I think: something grooving with the kit/bassgt..knitting together with it. If I had to go with just guitar parts, and no whistling synth line, I'd focus on a syncopated guitar...James Brown-ish...to make the bootie move. The sound and playing is real ' 60's Philly Soul'...a really cool stain that's due for a comeback...very urban and honest and organic. It's not something I've heard a lot of. None of that overdone electro-thump that every song like it has. I totally dig your concept and sound; but the guitar has to learn a groove thang to put it over the top.

Grab some old 60's Motown and Philly...listen to the guitar. Sly, Stevie, Temptations, ....Thomas Dolby's 'Flat Earth" has a guitarist who does it real well....Squeeze's "Tempted". Jimi Hendrix was a master of the style...when he wasn't wailing on '11'. Prince's stuff is a real good schoolin', too.

"chicca chicca wah wah beedle-deedle..." Nice repeating figures that mesh like gears with the other parts.

I think it would make this tune, and others like it you've written, really, really popular.

It's not easy to do...it'll take some dedicated work...but that ability is a really important tool for a guitarist to have in the 'kit'.

Your tune is a refreshing straight-shot of soul sound...just get the guitar jumpin' and you'll probably sign a contract.

cobbled together something to illustrate a bit:

http://www.yousendit.com/download/dVlwR0lUTStlM1FLSkE9PQ

Last edited:
Back