Standing up or laying down?

Cndn_Gtr_Guy

I just bought a Washburn Dime36 last night and it came with a gig bag. Is it better to have it leaning against something standing up (with no pressure on the neck) or to lay it down on the floor?

Neither!!! Hang it on the wall, thats why gig bags have that hook thing near the top. Better yet, spend the bucks for a hardshell case, you wont regret it in the long run.

I decided to buy a hardshell after I saw a girl standing unknowing on my old bassists bass, while it was in his soft case. I dont really ever leave my guitar leading against walls. My Bassist left his old guitar against a wall, the heat of the room warped it. Now the Neck is in bits :( .

- Idgeit

Ok, just for arguement's sake though, which is worse for the guitar?

Because after paying for the guitar, I can't afford the hard case for a little while, and I really don't want to damage it in the meantime...

Dani Pace said:
Neither!!! Hang it on the wall, thats why gig bags have that hook thing near the top. Better yet, spend the bucks for a hardshell case, you wont regret it in the long run.

Do I need anything special to support the weight of the guitar?

notbradsohner said:
you can get a wall hanger for like 11 dollars. They guitar headstock will fit right in it.

just make sure to buy a good one ... i have seen quite some guitars, where the "rubber" of the wall hanger kinda burnt the finish of the guitar ... :eek:

i am very anal about wall hangers ... :D

lay it down, away from peoples' feet. If you stand it up it will fall over.might be okay standing up in a corner,but standing it against a flat wall is asking for it.

Cndn_Gtr_Guy said:
Do I need anything special to support the weight of the guitar?
No. The weight of the guitar is absolutely trivial compared to the forces of the string tension and the trussrod.

This is a non-issue. Think about it.

bongolation said:
No. The weight of the guitar is absolutely trivial compared to the forces of the string tension and the trussrod.

This is a non-issue. Think about it.

I meant if I was hanging it on the wall, to make sure it stayed on the wall...

Not quite sure what you mean....

gibsonguy09 said:
i Dont' think it matters.
You're correct.

Hang it on the wall like dani pace said. or get a wall hanger they are pretty cool to
When those wall hangers get down to $1.99 -- where they should be -- I'm going to buy a crate of them. They'd change my life. I have thirty-something instruments around here in stands and they take up a terrible amount of space.

The one point that was made about walls being too hot or cold does seem to have some merit, though, if you live in a poorly-insulated house in a place that experiences wide temperature extremes within short periods, as my home does -- maybe fifty degrees change in outside temperature within 24 hours, day after day. Maybe I should be careful not to hang instruments on walls with outside exposure on the other sides.

Good point!

Cndn_Gtr_Guy said:
Not quite sure what you mean....
If you lean an instrument against a wall, the additional force on the neck can be measured in mere grams. Lying the guitar down will be only a matter of a couple of pounds on the neck, if that.

The string tension on some of my basses, for example, is well over two hundred (200) pounds, with countering forces in the trussrod. Compared to this, the weight of the instrument is just not significant.

Idgeit said:
I decided to buy a hardshell after I saw a girl standing unknowing on my old bassists bass, while it was in his soft case.
Yeah, gig bags. What's the point?

No structural protection at all. Dumbest idea ever.

"Hey, the neck's broken, sure, but there aren't any scratches at all, dude!" :D

bongolation said:
If you lean an instrument against a wall, the additional force on the neck can be measured in mere grams. Lying the guitar down will be only a matter of a couple of pounds on the neck, if that.

The string tension on some of my basses, for example, is well over two hundred (200) pounds, with countering forces in the trussrod. Compared to this, the weight of the instrument is just not significant.

When you put it that way, it makes total sense.

Good to know that unless I step on it, my new guitar will be fine until I get the hardcase.......

Back