Standard Old Timey Cassette Recorders - What would you recommend?

Help Help

Hello. I am quite interested in finding a solid sounding regular old cassette recorder for esthetic purposes. I don't care if that seems silly to you, but if you can help that would be most appreciated!

So far I've been looking at a Panasonic rq-2102, and the rq-2739 etc. They seem like they would do just fine. I'm not sure what the differences are exactly.
I recently stumbled across an ancient panasonic rq-203S. It sounds really cool, but is not in working order really.

What do you remember having good experiences with?
Which ones have the best mics, whether built in or included externally?
I'm looking for cool sound by my definition, along the lines of these outdated unused machines that I enjoy.

Also, I see you can buy the rq-2102 new. My concern is that perhaps they are made cheaply now, compared to when it was originally made.

What say you? Any help would be so appreciated!

Hello. I am quite interested in finding a solid sounding regular old cassette recorder for esthetic purposes. I don't care if that seems silly to you, but if you can help that would be most appreciated!

So far I've been looking at a Panasonic rq-2102, and the rq-2739 etc. They seem like they would do just fine. I'm not sure what the differences are exactly.
I recently stumbled across an ancient panasonic rq-203S. It sounds really cool, but is not in working order really.

What do you remember having good experiences with?
Which ones have the best mics, whether built in or included externally?
I'm looking for cool sound by my definition, along the lines of these outdated unused machines that I enjoy.

Also, I see you can buy the rq-2102 new. My concern is that perhaps they are made cheaply now, compared to when it was originally made.

I would not recommend them, but if you're set on using one for something I would say they are all about the same. The only advice I can give is to use an external mike because a built-in mike will pic up motor noise and other mechanical vibration from the recorder.

The only advice I can give is to use an external mike because a built-in mike will pic up motor noise and other mechanical vibration from the recorder.

I'm getting the sense that that's the sound quality the OP is actually after.

He's asking about shoebox cassette recorders, right?

Cheers! :)

I happen to like those old recorders ... and my grandfather used to have one of the Panasonic 'shoebox' things, which he recorded his sort of 'big band' rehearsals on in the '70s. Those recordings sound pretty good actually. The one he had was similar to this one:

Vintage Panasonic Cassette Player Recorder with Mic Model No RQ 309AS | eBay

He also had a mic that looked like this one:

Vintage Sony MTL F 96 Imp Low Dynamic Microphone Japan | eBay

... that thing actually sounded really good.

BUT --

I've stumbled across tons of these kinds of cassette recorders at thrift shops, etc ... and I sometimes buy 'em because they're just a few dollars. In my experience, NONE OF THEM ARE EVER IN WORKING CONDITION!!! These things are 30-40 year old consumer products that were 'cheap' Japanese imports ...

Anyway, if you can get one that works, they are cool sounding in my opinion.

When I was a kid I used to mess around with those things all the time and they always sounded terrible to me. Ridiculous motor noise, loads of wow and flutter, just generally bad quality. The first good recorder I got as a Sony Walkman pro WM-D6. That had a brilliant sound.

I also remember the buttons jamming on those cassette decks.

Thanks for replying everyone! I really love the sound of these machines, and they are right along the lines of the esthetic for what I am currently working on. Fwiw, I am not interested in any unsolicited debates or opinions involving other peoples' opinions on the "right" way to record. I like tape machines, even really old ones. If you can help I would appreciate it so much!

Thanks for the suggestions lonewhitefly! This is what I have(found it for $3 ha). Vintage Panasonic Solid State RQ 203s Microphone Transcriber Cassette Recorder | eBay The sound quality is truly terrific and clear. The only thing I wonder is....the mic is soooo sensitive! A good thing, but when I play loud, it doesn't take much for it to fuzz out. I have some bottom of the line recently made RCA tape recorders of relatively poor quality, however, I can play as loud as I want pretty much and it works fine(partly because the mic is so poor in comparison I suppose). Only I know there are way better machines out there.

Anyone know the difference between the mic on what I have and other mics in the same line, such as the one lonewhitefly suggested? I may just have to experiment with mic placement with what I have, but was just curious if anyone knew of anything in particular that condensed the sound in an effective way or something. I'm not exactly sure. As for built in mics, didn't that Mountain Goats guy record a series of albums on the built in mic on an old tape boombox? If it works for your purposes, a sound you are looking for or whatever else, then it is what it is and whose to say.

THANKS TO ALL WHY TRY TO HELP!!

I had one of these many eons ago. It actually was quite good and I used it for all sorts of things when I was a dead broke college student. I soldered leads onto the recording heads, ran them to a cheap preamp and into a Bogen 50 watt PA amplifier which drove a home built speaker cabinet with a 12" woofer and a horn tweeter. The thing wasn't audiophile, of course, but I got remarkably decent sound, albeit mono, from it.

Thanks for replying everyone! I really love the sound of these machines, and they are right along the lines of the esthetic for what I am currently working on. Fwiw, I am not interested in any unsolicited debates or opinions involving other peoples' opinions on the "right" way to record. I like tape machines, even really old ones. If you can help I would appreciate it so much!

Thanks for the suggestions lonewhitefly! This is what I have(found it for $3 ha). Vintage Panasonic Solid State RQ 203s Microphone Transcriber Cassette Recorder | eBay The sound quality is truly terrific and clear. The only thing I wonder is....the mic is soooo sensitive! A good thing, but when I play loud, it doesn't take much for it to fuzz out. I have some bottom of the line recently made RCA tape recorders of relatively poor quality, however, I can play as loud as I want pretty much and it works fine(partly because the mic is so poor in comparison I suppose). Only I know there are way better machines out there.

Anyone know the difference between the mic on what I have and other mics in the same line, such as the one lonewhitefly suggested? I may just have to experiment with mic placement with what I have, but was just curious if anyone knew of anything in particular that condensed the sound in an effective way or something. I'm not exactly sure. As for built in mics, didn't that Mountain Goats guy record a series of albums on the built in mic on an old tape boombox? If it works for your purposes, a sound you are looking for or whatever else, then it is what it is and whose to say.

THANKS TO ALL WHY TRY TO HELP!!

I don't know about those kinds of mics too much, but that little Sony thing is a high quality one ... sounds similar to an SM57.

At this point in history I'd be more concerned with getting a machine that still worked properly than being picky about the particular model.

Well, there you go, you got your help plus additional comments just like you requested.

This is a public forum and people have the right to add their thoughts. You don't get to dictate what can and can't be said even if you started the thread.

I'll edit or delete some of your more offensive posts and will try to put this thread back on target.

I had one of these many eons ago. It actually was quite good and I used it for all sorts of things when I was a dead broke college student. I soldered leads onto the recording heads, ran them to a cheap preamp and into a Bogen 50 watt PA amplifier which drove a home built speaker cabinet with a 12" woofer and a horn tweeter. The thing wasn't audiophile, of course, but I got remarkably decent sound, albeit mono, from it.

Jumpin Jack Flash, (which is quite a famous recording) was done by recording an acoustic guitar with a Philips mic into a Philips cassette tape recorder on pause record, into a Fender amp mic'ed into the recording console. Keith Richards loved the way the acoustic distorted the cassette recorder. A few other tunes were done that way until the cassette recorder broke.

I get this feeling something went terribly wrong here while I was out. I believe I may have forgotten to attach the smiley face at the end of my second post. I hate when that happens! :eek: :)

Back