Standalone recorder recommendation

Emmanuel

Hello Everyone

Just look to my post at the bottom for the details none of this makes since

I hope this is the right place to ask this question if not I am sorry and feel free to move it where it belongs.

So here is my problem. I currently have a fostex vf160 that I use to lay tracks down. I then copy the track as wave files and move them to my computer and edit using cakewalk and soundforge. This has worked fine since 2004 with minimal problems. Recently my computer died and all the editing I had on 4 yrs for music is lost. I have copies of the final products and copies of the raw waves from the fostex. Which is all good at lest I have the start and end the middle I can deal with.

So this problem led me to the question if my fostex dies can I get all my trk information back on to the fostex from cd in a simple manner. Well it dosn't seem like there is a simple method for using the .wav backup functionality on the fostex.

So can anyone recommend a standalone recorder that will do what I want. The bells and whistles of the fostex vf160 are fine for me since I don't use them. I basically just want a seemless backup method where I can go from cpu to recorder with out hitch. Example if the recorder uses .wav's to back up each track to cd thats is great, then I can move those waves to my computer. But I want the recorder to be able to take that cd and recreate the project where each wave corresponds to a single track in the that project. My fostex does not do that. I takes each wave and creates a new project for each track. So now I have the bass on a new project and the guitar on a different project and so on. Anyone out there able to recommend a recorder with this functionality? I would like to stay with the standalone recorder because is easy to move around. I can work live event, go a friends house, etc. and not have to worry about hauling much around.

Thanks Everyone

Last edited:
I am not quite sure if this will answer your question as I am uncertain what your question is :D but I like using Korg DAW's (digital audio workstations, what you are calling a 'recorder').

They have a USB out so you can export the wav's direct to your computer's hard drive, as well as the option of burning backups to CD in two different ways: You can backup whatever you want in just .wav and/or also backup the whole song with all the effects settings etc... Which makes it really easy to restore whole songs. And they're fairly easy to use.

You could get a used Korg D1600 or D1600mkII for a couple hundred bucks off of ebay, if you don't want to buy the current expensive verisons they're offering.

So you basically just want to backup your projects from the PC to the Unit?

I would just invest in one or a few harddrives and maybe an external enclosure.
Cosolidate each project and back it up. Bam, done.

Sorry everyone I your right I dont even understand the question.

I want to go from a digital multitrack ( ex Roland VS-2840, fostex vf160 etc) to my pc and I don't care how its done as long as using some sort of media (cds, thumbdrive, usb cable, etc).

I have all me data on cd from my fostex vf160 where it saved as:

Program foo where

trk 1 = 1.wav
trk2 = 2.wav
and so on ...

But when I go to the fostex using the same cd it wont import the .wav files on the same program. So what i get is:

Program foo1 where
trk 1 and trk 2 = 1.wav

Program foo2 where
trk 1 and trk 2 = 2.wave

and so on. And that isn't what I want. When I import from cd I want:

Program foo3 where
trk 1 = 1.wav
trk 2 = 2.wav

and so on.

I hope this cleared it up. Backing up the data isn't the problem it's retrieving the data I want better control of. Not that I have any major clients or do any real work on the systems but when my computer dies again or when the fostex finally dies I want to be able to keep moving without a hitch. Thats is the only reason I am looking for a replacement to my Digital Multitrack.

Back