standalone pre vs mixer (BUDGET style) Discuss!

LmnLm3

So for a little demo playground, thinking of doing 1 or 2 pres with a budget LDC (at2020?) and maybe a 57 or EV-PL84. Acoustic stuff, sampling, vox, etc.

At the bottom of the barrel, would you chose a dual pre (like the m-audio units or ART units) or would you go with a small mixer (like a behringer 802 Soundcraft Notepad 102, Mackie 402, etc.)

Are the pres negligible at this price and you would use a mixer for monitoring? Or do you think you could get better sound out of dedicated pres?

What would YOU do? (and WHY?)

If it is just for yourself you should go with a dedicated pre that will complement your microphone (try to do better than the 2020) Purchase smart and purchase once.

I just meant as a general discussion of what people do when they just need a couple of pres with phantom power. I'm shopping around for a budget ldc (maybe v67g or perception 120...).

But really, for a guy just plugging in a couple mics either into a line level interface or line level PA and you need a couple pre's, what's the norm? I never see standalone pres on a stage, only mixers... maybe for durability? or is it that nobody thinks to just take a DMP3 or anything like that?

Also I never see anyone use a dmp3 or audiobuddy or whatever into a recording source either, only mixers.

(I'm speaking of situations where there is no USB interface)

I just meant as a general discussion of what people do when they just need a couple of pres with phantom power. I'm shopping around for a budget ldc (maybe v67g or perception 120...).

But really, for a guy just plugging in a couple mics either into a line level interface or line level PA and you need a couple pre's, what's the norm? I never see standalone pres on a stage, only mixers... maybe for durability? or is it that nobody thinks to just take a DMP3 or anything like that?

Also I never see anyone use a dmp3 or audiobuddy or whatever into a recording source either, only mixers.

(I'm speaking of situations where there is no USB interface)

There's no dedicated pres in a live situation because the sound doesn't really matter as much. Your not trying to make everything sound pretty. The mixers pres are sufficient.

There's no dedicated pres in a live situation because the sound doesn't really matter as much. Your not trying to make everything sound pretty. The mixers pres are sufficient.

but I'm asking why is there a mixer in the first place... or do people with their own PA plug their mics directly into their amp?

I just don't get why mixers even are used in the first place, except perhaps for ensembles with electric instruments... Even then, though, many players use DI boxes...

A mixer is going to be much more versatile. People need the inserts, Maybe EQ for kick and toms, the faders, and auxes for monitoring.

I am thinking of singer-songwriter acoustic types. mini dreadnaught and vocals, all dry. you know? I toured with a few over the summer. Of course acoustic singer-songwriters know nothing of gear (one guy told me his SM58 was a condenser and would be great for my cello :-/ he won World Cafe Live this year though!).

So maybe a dual pre would be better for him, but he doesn't care enough...

But I also suppose that eq is important to get the sound right for the room. I think that's it right there.

A mixer is going to be much more versatile. People need the inserts, Maybe EQ for kick and toms, the faders, and auxes for monitoring.

though most small format mixers that I see traveling around don't even have inserts or auxes, just 2 bus budget stuff like behringer or yamaha. I never see traveling zeds in coffee shops (that's the type of venue I've been doing...)

though most small format mixers that I see traveling around don't even have inserts or auxes, just 2 bus budget stuff like behringer or yamaha. I never see traveling zeds in coffee shops (that's the type of venue I've been doing...)

Ahh I completely forgot you mentioned "small mixer" in the OP. I was thinking in terms of larger venues.

Anytime I've seen people use small mixers, it's been for a couple of obvious reasons.

Easy to see, identify and reach faders to balance the levels.

EQ to make stuff sound pretty.

Stereo output, cos the venue/performer have a pair of active pa speakers.

I know a buttload of gigging musicians who have a pair of active speakers and a mini mixer for acoustic guitars and vocals.
It's just neat and tidy, and works.

In the studio, Forget about it. I wouldn't have a mini behringer mixer or similar anywhere near my setup, because it just doesn't offer anything that i can't do ITB, and I prefer to have a range of different preamps.
Most people probably prefer to have a range unless they've got a real nice console that's worth having.

I can appreciate why guys have larger mixers for tracking to tape, or even to their daw (or for summing).
Some people like to eq and compress on the way in. I'm prepared to admit that that requires skill that I probably don't have, but I like my plugs etc so I have no real urge to learn.

Back