standalone or PC based recording

airbornemama

I'm very familiar with live sound production but am interested in jumping into the recording end of the pool. At first I would like to stay in the baby pool because I'm on a very tight budget. I've been looking at alot of the standalone recorders offered and trying to decide whether I should go that route or the PC-based (pro-tools, sonic foundry, etc.) route. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!

Yo Airborne:

In reality, a HD unit like the Yamaha 2816 or 4416 or AW16 is a PC in miniature.

The screen is small and there is no mouse. [Although I hear some units can accept a mouse.]

I have to move the cursor via arrow keys and I just use the program that is on the unit. In my case, the 2816.

You can read for ten years about the PC and stand-alone HD. You should get out and audition some units and see what's what.

Also, check out the threads on this site for mucho informatione`.

El Vespa Verde :D :p :D

Hey Green Hornet I don't know about the AW2816 or AW16G but the AW4416 you can use a mouse and I do.

I agree with Green Hornet the a standalone DAW is very much like a PC setup, with lots of Pro and Cons on PC or DAW approach. You didn't mention if you already own a PC or not and being you want to stay in the baby pool the cost outlay will be different depending on the answer to that question.

Biggest upside to DAW is everything in one Box, mixer,Pre Amps, effects units, multiple inputs, phantom Power, EQ;s,and Dynamic libraries,samplers,ect depending on the unit.

Biggest upside to PC is probably editing, which is easier on a PC. Some people say investment is safest, but PC's change as fast as musical products, as do Software developers who write to latest Operating system and hardware, so I am not sure I totally buy that. But there are more plugin and mastering options on the PC.

My personal choice is a DAW, but thats me. But I will eventual probably do both, I have a good PC but just haven't had the overwhelming to desire to get it all hooked up and figured out yet. And if I do it will be for editing purposes mostly.

Back