stand alone cd-r

bunnyfunk1

To my understanding, stand alone cd units can only record to the audio cds due to money paid for copy rights, but I just had a sales man from a well known store tell me that that only applies when copying a cd, and not when you are recording your own original music. He said that you can use the cheap computer type cd-r for that on the stand alone unit. Cold someone clear this up for me?

The salesman is wrong! You cannot use anything but the special audio cd's in the stand-alone player/recorder. What I have found is that you can do the following:

I record my material into a Vestax HDR-6. I mixdown to the Philips 760. It is possible to copy the copy on a computer using the cheaper cd's. This is the only way that I know of. I made a post sometime ago pointing to CDRexpress.com as the place to buy these special audio cd's. You can get them for $1.60 each to $1.30 each depending on the quantity that you need. It is still cheaper than using DAT for storage - I got my stand-alone at a SAM's club for $ 299.

Bob

The secret here is not whether you are recording commercial CDs or creating originals... the answer is dependent on which stand alone CD recorder you own. The Phillips recorder requires the 'special' (read this as expensive) CD-Rs... other decks (like the Marantz) allow using the regular (i.e. cheaper) CD-Rs regardless of the source.

Buyer beware...

Cordially,

the guitar half of RockNGunz

If you've got a computer with a vacant IDE slot, $189 will buy you a 6x4x16 Yamaha CDR/RW (Yamaha) that'll burn a 74 minute audio CDR in <15 minutes using the cheapest media available.

bunny - most of the stand alones,such as the philips, will only use the audio type cd's, but there are a few units out there that use data cd-r's. unfortunately, they are all expensive. take a look at the tascam cdr-w5000 - it's about $1000. i finally broke down and bought a roland vs-880ex workstation and the dedicated CD-r that goes with it - it is a great sounding and easy to use setup - i got both units for $1650, and now i have 8 digital tracks, digital mixing, two onboard effects units (the reverb is super), and the first cd i ever burned on it sounded fantastic.

Back