Stairwells suck

frederic

To further avoid desoldering old patch bays... (I know, I know...) I decided instead to remodel the stairwell under the vocal booth... something that's annoyed me for over a year and finally, I get to give it a basic makeover.

My studio has two access points... the side door(s) next to the console table which leads to the rest of the house, and this stairwell, which leads to a slate pathway that goes along the side of the garage, to the driveway.

So once the door is opened, this stairwell is the first thing that customers would see:

IM001493.JPG

This is a picture looking down the stairs. You can see the large 2x12 the flip-floor sits on, the open-frame structure for the hallway light i started adding so people can see at the bottom of the stairs whether the floor is down or not, as well as the ugly, weird green color of the door (which was like that when I moved in 4+ years ago).

First step is to finish the electrical in the wall, so I can at least see what I am working on. Flashlights suck. First thing to do is drill holes, and snake wiring through. A little tough to see, but the thing sticking out of the wall above the light structure is a coat hanger :D

IM001496.JPG

Now that the wire is up, I spliced it into the fixture, after mounting the trim ring on the inside of the wooden surface. Normally the mounting ring goes on the outside of the ceiling surface, however since I'll be applying carpeting and nails for the carpeting, I didn't want to nail into the metal housing. I'm not a lucky person. I do stuff like this :(

IM001503.JPG

Here I've replaced the single switch, with a dual switch. The top switch controls the power feed to the vocal booth light just above, which generally I would leave on as I added a pull chain in the light fixture. The bottom switch controls the new stairwell light. The walls are covered with tongue and groove cedar paneling that has been eaten a bit by termites long before I moved here. I decided not to take it down out of laziness, and instead later on because I put on the wall covers, I'll chaulk the seams.

IM001505.JPG

Finished lightswitch installation, and viola, let there be light!

IM001506.JPG
IM001507.JPG

Next, I tore out the dry-rotted rubber stair covering, which was put down long before I was born, with roofing nails of all things. Whoever did this job was a fooking idiot. One slightly yank on the rubber, and it tore like tissue paper. This resulted in several hours of scraping the stairs with paint scraper, then praying the roofing nails out with a long crowbar. The nails were all different types too. Some copper, some galvenized, some plain, some 4" long (???), so I have no idea what that was about. Glad to be rid of it.

I then polyurethaned the stairs even though the oak is a little beat up but I wanted to make sure if someone spilled soda or coffee on the stairwell it didn't ruin the wood. So once that dried... I got into carpeting.

IM001509.JPG

IM001510.JPG

IM001511.JPG

IM001512.JPG

IM001513.JPG

And here is the view looking down after the first 1/2 day I put into carpeting the stairs.

IM001514.JPG

And the next day I was up at about 5am carpeting because I had insomnia and decided to finish the stairwell:

IM001515.JPG

I used a staplegun with long staples, figuring that would be just fine. Turned out not to be the best choice so I humped my air hose from the garage around the side, snapped on my brad nailer, and picked out all the stupid staples and bradded the carpet in. It's not going anywhere. Beats hammering carpet tacks on the inside ledge of the stairs. Much easier to turn the nailer upside down and pull the trigger. Kerchunk! Psssst! Click!

Now that the stairs are done, I decided to start carpeting the stairwell light. I really hate working over my head, especially while standing on a pair of old stereo speakers that are carefully balanced on the stairs - but hey - it worked and I didn't break my neck.... LMAO

IM001516.JPG

And the finished product...

IM001517.JPG

Then at the bottom of the stairs, I decided for the sake of "easy" and "enough of this crap already" I decided to recycle some left over flooring I had from a job I did for a neighbor... had 1 pack of beech pergo which somewhat matches the beech flooring I put in the studio, and somewhat matches the beige carpeting now on the stairs... so why the heck not :D

A few hours of trimming, gluing, packing, clamping, and so on:

IM001518.JPG

The biggest problem with carpeting the stairs (and putting the flooring on the landing pad at the bottom), is none of this is square. The bottom step is 33-7/8" wide, and the top step is 32-1/8" wide. It's a gradual progression of "narrowness" as you go up the stairs. It's only about 3/4" of an inch difference, but if you don't figure out which way it narrows, and which side has more of the "cut" than the other, you end up with gaps at the edge of the carpet on the bottom, wider stairs.

Anyway, that was my day today pretty much.

Wow, Looks great frederic. Good use of your time, must have been a bitch though. Sorry that your stairs aren't square, if I knew that I probably wouldn't have even tried. Great work. Pat on the back to you.

Ben

Thanks Ben. Them not being square I'm getting used to. My entire studio isn't square. Not one corner, not even close.

Normally one just measures the width, and hacks off a length of carpet and as you tack it up, when you get close to the end of the length of carpet, you cut it right under the edge of a stair so that the seam between that and the new piece isn't visible. Because because the carpet had to "taper" I had to measure the height and depth of the steps, and also the curve around the edge of the steps themselves, since they hang out slightly. That's because I had to get the length right, to get the taper correct.

Turns out I mismeasured, so that the length of the first section of carpet was longer by a whopping 1/4", which was easy to fix. Tried out my new titanium-bladed carpet knife. Slice! Right through, no effort.

I just hope that someday, I'll embark on a project that's *easy*.

Next is to finish the flooring on the landing pad, put a new gasket under the door and replace the sagging hinges, then carpet the walls. Will be a nice cozy stairwell when completed.

frederic said:
Thanks Ben. Them not being square I'm getting used to. My entire studio isn't square. Not one corner, not even close.

If your ever feeling bad because of it, just remember that half the suckers out there wish they had that!

Ben

My entire studio isn't square. Not one corner, not even close.
I know what you mean frederic. Makes you wonder why carpenters carry a square with them :D My folks have a hallway in their 1962 tract home that one of the long walls is a whopping 4" out of plumb :eek: Almost makes you dizzy when you walk around the corner and look down the hall :confused:

Looks good though frederic. You always seem to make a silk purse out of a sows ear :p Hey, did you get all your cabling done? I'm about ready to tackle mine. Just finished the exhaust plenums for the computer iso box. What a friggin chore. Could have built a whole studio in the time it took to build this dam box. Oh well, I think its worth it though. I HATE computer fan noise ;)

Got some other things done today.

Cleaned out the area (somewhat) in front of the producer's desk so I can hack off a bit of the PVC jacket and start soldering the snakes to patch bays. Have to have room to work!
IM001519.JPG

Then I glued, and clamped the doorframe from the entrance that goes to the rest of the house... I had my headphones on as I was streaming a live mix and didn't hear my wife banging on the door, so she banged louder and sure enough, the metal latch plate on the doorframe flew off as did a chunk of the cheesy, pine door frame. I could have replaced the door frame and call it a day, but because I buried it under a slanted ceiling it's too complicated for me to want to deal with it, so we'll try some structural adhesive.
IM001520.JPG

Then install a bigger striker cover and use 6" long deck screws :D
IM001522.JPG

Then like the putz that I am, I had dropped a pair of long, curved tip needle nose pliars on the outside door sill, didn't notice it, and slammed the wooden door shut on top of it, tearing into the bottom of the door. Dispite it being oak, the door splintered pretty good. So I took it off it's hinges, used structural adhesive (and finishing nails) to put it back together, then I finished the outside off with a piece of aspen I had lying around, with some cheap chrome rosettes and deck screws. I should replace the door but not until I'm working. Clumsyness costs money!
IM001521.JPG

Now the the glue dried on the inside door frame, I cut out 3/8" thick wood strips to place between the double doors, so they don't bang each other anymore, leaving 1/32" gap between these wood strips and each door, for 1/16" thick neoprene which will be glued on down the road sometime. I had done this one before, using felt instead of neoprene, and I wasn't happy with the results, but I had to tear it off to glue the doorframe back together so I figured now's the time to redo it "correctly".
IM001523.JPG

And here I've added the top piece. Next is the left side, then I put the floor sill back on, and then both doors closed make a nice airtight seal, or reasonably so, at least until I paint both doors with oil paint which I won't do until spring when I'm sure it won't get too cold in the bathroom that butts against my studio. The studio is usually nice and warm, but the bathroom generally is freezing since when that was built in 1941, no one thought to insulate it. Idiots.
IM001524.JPG

RICK FITZPATRICK said:
Makes you wonder why carpenters carry a square with them :D

No question about it. My cousin's house built in the early 50's has the same problem. They have two bedrooms next to each other, and each of them had a single-door closet between. One closet for each bedroom, side by side. They wanted to remove one of the closets from the second bedroom, and combine it with the first closet, and use four gliding doors to make a huge closet.

Sounds easy, right?

So we measure everything, pick up the drywall, floor tile, the doors and various hardware. We get back, and start tearing things apart... what do we find in the wall seperating the two closets? Four electrical runs. Okay, not that awful, electrical I can do. So we spent quite a while figuring out where its from and where it went, relocated it with new junction blocks in the back of the closet, then continued tearing things apart. Okay, another road block - the front wall next to the single door (which was leaving to become a four-door slider closet door) had a structural i-beam that was just plastered over. Explains the painted over cracks in the wall before we started working on this.

So we were done for the night, and the next time I went up there about a week later, I brought a section of 4x4 steel tubing, and a floor jack, and we jacked up the i-beam across about 1/8", cut out that I-beam, and moved it over to the side of where the doors were going to be. Then I called my steel supplier, and got another I-beam to match that one, and put that to the left of where the doors were going to be. Then we drilled and bolted them to the header i-beam using grade 8 hardware. Then I removed my jack and the makeshift "post" and we continued with the construction.

Of course, like an idiot, I put the two i-beams flush with the old plaster surface, meaning that they were both forward about 1/2" than they should be. Not a structural disaster, just hard as fook to plaster over. So, we hacked into the rest of the wall, and moved all the studs gradually from one end to the i-beams, so the wall was slowly moving into the room so that the plaster could be slathered over everything and not be so obvious.

When done, it actually looks fine. It's not obvious that the wall is "bowed" out towards the closet doors, the moulding hides that a bit. But work like that makes me insane. But I was severly handicapped anyway. While my cousin is a great guy, he ruined the carpet in his bedroom by putting a slowing down circular saw on the carpet. The guard hadn't sprung back fully. THorugh the carpet, the padding, and into the plywood below. He spent hours trying to "rack" the carpet fuzz so it wasn't obvious, while I was working on the closet. Eventually I just put glue under the two edges of the cut area, and put my toolbox on top of it overnight. It looks more like a carpet "mark" than a 4' long tear. But it looked good enough that I could finish helping him with the closet and get out of there before his wife flips out.

Since I'm not working I've been taking on a few electrical jobs in various houses somewhat local to me, for some cash. Paying for your own benefits while out of a job makes one poor in a hurry. We have a newborn or I wouldn't bother. Anyway, you should see some of the crap I've ended up fixing recently. At one house, they had an addition put on a year ago, and even though it passed inspection, NONE of the grounds were hooked up at the box, and EVERY HOT AND NEUTRAL WAS BACKWARDS which explains why the grounds weren't hooked up. Idiots. At least all the miswiring was done at the subpanel, its not like I had to wander and find every outlet, switch and junction box in the addition to fix this mess. But it still took all day.

Another small job I did recently was for a widow in her late 50's, who kept having her jacuzzi breaker flip. I looked at that, and there was NO GROUND RUN AT ALL and the breaker of course was the fancy, GFCI in-panel type breaker. No wonder it flipped. Amazing she's alive. Anyway, I ran new wire for that and that was done.

Nothing makes me more insane than obviously shoddy work. Mistakes I can deal with. I make them all the time. But there is a huge difference between doing it yourself and saying... I can live with this... versus paying a professional and the REVERSE HOT AND NEUTRAL or FORGET THE GROUND WIRES ON YOUR HOT TUB.

Slapping people on the side of the head should be legalized. I know I'd have sore hands in about an hour, but my stress level would go way down for sure. The latter is very important to me.

RICK FITZPATRICK said:
Looks good though frederic. You always seem to make a silk purse out of a sows ear :p Hey, did you get all your cabling done? I'm about ready to tackle mine. Just finished the exhaust plenums for the computer iso box. What a friggin chore. Could have built a whole studio in the time it took to build this dam box. Oh well, I think its worth it though. I HATE computer fan noise ;)

I've run all the cabling... and at the point where I should be trimming, tying, and soldering the snakes to patch bays. I've just been finding shorter-time things to do because I've not had a decent block of time (like, a whole day) where I can sit and figure out what cable I actually need off the spool, versus what is left, and measure it for you. I should have done that today since it was alarmingly warm.... but alas, I decided to glue doorframes instead.

Nothing makes me more insane than obviously shoddy work.
Me too frederic. Especially when you've paid someone to do it. Although I've had a few that I've done that there was no way to do it except ....MICKYMOUSE IT! :rolleyes: I wasn't proud of it either. Oh well, can't be a master craftsman all the time. :D

where I can sit and figure out what cable I actually need off the spool, versus what is left, and measure it for you. I should have done that today since it was alarmingly warm.... but alas, I decided to glue doorframes instead.
No prob frederic. At your convienience. I'm in no hurry
whatsoever. Thanks for thinking of me.

Fredericks the man with the masterplan.... I will say that much...

And you've accumulated good carpentry skills among all your other talents... lol...

KUDOS! haha i never said that! and dont even know what it means, i just wanted to say it cause other people on this forum have and do. I personally think it sounds stupid to say kudos (no offense please)... lol but KUDOS!

the stairs make me feel all warm and yummy inside... LOL... Their like a nice furry teddy bear... lol i could just sleep on them...

hahahaha...

nice stairs of course... and studio as well... I HAVE YET TO SEE THE WEB CAM!!!

ggrrrr

I try like twice a week! lol

ThaArtist said:
And you've accumulated good carpentry skills among all your other talents... lol...

Not really, I still prefer metal.

ThaArtist said:
the stairs make me feel all warm and yummy inside... LOL... Their like a nice furry teddy bear... lol i could just sleep on them...

I just can't wait until I'm done, as then I've just about run out of things to procrastinate my getting to soldering patch bays.

ThaArtist said:
I HAVE YET TO SEE THE WEB CAM!!! I try like twice a week! lol

Not sure why, they're both online most of the time unless the hub they are plugged into got the wall wart knocked out... let me check but they should both be online pretty much all the time.

::brief delay::

Yep, they are both online. Maybe your browser doesn't like the page I made to include them. Go directly to the cams then. When asked for a username, it's "guest" in lowercase without the quotes, and leave the password field blank and press enter.

http://cam1.midimonkey.com <--- permanently mounted studio cam
http://cam2.midimonkey.com <--- floater web cam

Back