Stage presence behind the drum kit!

FattMusiek

I'm new to playing live with my band and was wondering if anyone has some tried and true tips for being successful with stage presence. I am somewhat shy and have a bit of trouble looking like I'm really enjoying myself. I've heard simply smiling is huge, but I've always found it difficult to force a smile. My drumming style is not impeccable either so unfortunately I can't be that drummer who is so good it doesn't matter what his face is saying.

Thank you fellow drummers!

It is really easy for drummers to look bored, even if you are having fun.

Don't let your mouth hang open.
Don't stare at your hi-hats constantly (this is really easy to do). Look at the other band mates, interact with them with your eyes. This really helps.
When performing a difficult lick, don't be afraid to let your face show exercision of the difficult passage, even if its just rolling your eyes back.
Do a few stick twirls when you arne't playing, but DON'T TRY ANYTHING WHILE PLAYING PASSAGES! Since you're just starting to learn stage presence and technique, don't mess up what you're doing already.

Don't try to fake headbang or force yourself to make facial expressions. The only thing you should think about should be keeping your mouth from hanging open constantly, and interacting with the rest of the band.

Basicly: What Seafroggys said...

Most drummers you see are pretty focussed on what they're doing, so they aren't really aware of their stage presence. I've got the same problem :P

But it really helps if you look at your bandmates, try to look in the crowd, and maybe smile a bit, if youre having fun. Obviously, smiling while you are playing in a brutal metal band doesn't work that well, but I guess you get the point...

I've seen the Korean drummer vid and it's painful.

On a serious note: if you are the type of drummer that is afraid to make a contact with the audience, then just remember that playing music with other musicians is conversation. Treat your part the same way that you would if you were involved in verbal communication. Be as animated with those you are talking to as if it was a discussion. In this case you will at least be giving some importance and stage presence to your part of the conversation and letting the audience know that you are communicating with the other musicians and you are not just this automated percussion droid up there.
Please stop well short of Korean drummer unless you want to be the subject of ridicule.
But I laughed my ass off at that vid first time I saw it.

Some good suggestions....and some not so good suggestions are already posted. Here's the view of someone who has done thousands of gigs and who at one time was considered a very good showman.

1. First and foremost - maintain a positive inter-action and good eye contact with the other people on stage. If you and your band mates are having fun....the crowd will have fun. By keeping your eyes open, and looking around at the other people on stage, you look alert and involved, it reduces the dreaded "stare at the hi-hat syndrome" and you're able to catch any non verbal cues (ie, end the song, one more chorus, etc.)

2. Never, ever show that you're mad, or that you or a band mate made a mistake. Half the crowd didn't notice the mistake and the other half didn't care. However, the crowd will pick up on any negative vibe very quickly.

3. Find one or two people right in front of the stage (who appear to be into the music) and make eye contact. A smile, a wink a simple nod of the head and they suddenly feel they are part of something. They will likely respond with positive energy - which magnifies itself. Don't really focus on anyone past the first row or two - with stage lights, etc. you likely won't be able to see anything past that and much past the first row or so and the person won't even be able to tell that you're looking at them. The added benefit - if you get stage frieght - you simply lock in on one or two people and the rest of the crowd becomes a blur. Note: Make sure the people you lock in on are cute females and topless is even better:D

There are several things I've done over the years that made for good showmanship:

1. Set your drums and in particular your cymbals high - it can be very dramatic if you swing high to hit cymbals (in particular when you grab cymbals to choke them and/or twirl sticks). Naturally, this can compromise some speed and technique and it does lend itself to added fatique....but it can look very cool. Often with genres like rock - the technique that is compromised is not needed that much anyway

2. When playing backbeats, bring you stick up high between beats. This can look dramatic and makes it appear you are working harder than you really are. This can be very visual if you twirl the stick between beats.

3. The cliche' but effective head bob (you see every metal and punk guitar player in the world do this - and bass players even more). If you have long hair, this works even better.

4. Twirling sticks is alwasy good for show - but make sure you can do it well - dropped sticks or dropped beats are not cool!

5. If you solo (I am not a big fan of drum solos.....but if you do) - a strobe light can make every move very dramatic. - See suggestion 1-3 above to use a strobe to it's greatest effect

6. Water on the floor toms....which splashes each time you hit the drum (see: strobe light for extra effect)

7. I've only done this once and do not recommend....but....lighter fluid on the drum heads (again see strobe light for effect)

Note: Number 5-6 requires a drum tech for damage control. This can be visually stimulating but can cause damage to your gear.....but hey, sometimes art requires sacrifice!

I forgot about the peeing thing... If you're playing bars practice drunk, or practice acting drunk. Birds of a feather & all that.
Where I'm from the band is simply background noise for the drunkest guy in the place's antics. Do something they will remember, like peeing on them.

For the record I play dives where barstool cushions are stolen.

You'll put your eye out, on top of the gay thing.

Disclaimer: If you can play swiss triplets with your wiener at 240bpm, twirl away.

I'm new to playing live with my band and was wondering if anyone has some tried and true tips for being successful with stage presence. I am somewhat shy and have a bit of trouble looking like I'm really enjoying myself. I've heard simply smiling is huge, but I've always found it difficult to force a smile. My drumming style is not impeccable either so unfortunately I can't be that drummer who is so good it doesn't matter what his face is saying.

Thank you fellow drummers!

For me it´s all about the MUSIC you´re making... Twirling sticks or doing things that don´t come naturally is not the way.

I´m a working drummer, and when I smile is because I´m enjoying myself...
Don´t worry about stage presence... That would be the last thing on my list.
Do worry about your drumming, timing, the sounds your producing with your drums... Worry about being a good team member, 24-7 worry about being a better musician!

I disagree with most of mikeh suggestions (sorry bro)... Especially for someone who´s a begginer.

Playing music is not about getting chics or looking good... Play some cool music and you´ll can´t help it but smile and even cry while doing it! :)

Cheers!

Back