Stage Monitors

dan

Im looking for new PA monitors and I really need some advise from whoever has some experience with alot of em.

Heres my situation and I know lots of you can relate.

I have a steady spot at a place around me that is decent pay and a great place to play.
Ive gotten pretty adjusted and one thing I noticed is that, like in my basement, if I dont like the sound Im hearing my playing
seriously suffers.

Id love to get a pair of really great sounding monitors so I can mix and hear exactly what I like to hear. I have a 16 channel Mackie just for my rigg on stage and everything I use I keep pretty close including my amps for controlled feedback effects, rack stuff behind me, my pedal board, and MIDI controller.

As of now we use 6 really horrible monitors with one single 10" speaker and a really shitty sounding horn. Ive talked to the other guys about it but I want my OWN things that have anything to do with my sound. The Amps on my back make it really crowded and Id love to have a true sounding speaker in front of me that I can depend on.

Im looking for maybe a 2-way single 12" cab maybe something different though with decent features and as clear, loud, deep, and decent sound as possible. Maybe a trapazoidal type design. The kind that double as front of house speakers are attractive but I dont know if they are all that great or not.

The thing is Im not rich so 500$ each is just out of my range. Something good around 3 or 4 hundred at the most is what I could afford and probably not even that.

Thanx for any suggestions you could give me.

Oh and by the way with the monitors Im going to power them in my rigg so if you have any suggestions about a poweramp for use with monitors that would also be appreciated.

Yamaha has a "Club" series of speakers. I have their 15" monitors (with horns) and 18" subs. They also make 12" monitors of the same model, I think it's all called "Club IV". They are rated 500 Wts (8Ohms) RMS. I consider these to be a pretty good deal for the money, they cost under $300 (and i don't mean 299.99, less than that). They can be mounted on a stand as mains, by the way.

For a power amp I got Samson P1000, but there's a few bigger ones. They're quite cost-efficient compared to the "big" brands. I've had the amp for over a year and never had any problems (I've run it on full).

Check this stuff out, it may be right for you, man!

We've got both Peavy's with 15"s and a horn, and the Yamaha SV12m's with the 12"s and a horn. The Yamahas sound just as good and are MUCH lighter than the Peavys.

Also - we found out that putting the monitor up on a monitor stand (about waist level) closer to us instead of having them sit on the floor makes it much better to hear.

mutt

dan;
I have the yamaha 12"/horn, and the carvin
15"/horn, and I think the yamaha's have a more focused sound on stage. I do have to run a eq to help with feedback problems.

You might want to check harmonycentral for some used stuff.

RussP

Back