Stage Condenser for Vocals?

Johnbmx26

Hello,
I'm new to all this, and looking for a mic that could do decently in a few situations.

I just bought a firebox and my purpose was to record and have live vocals with a few plugins effects through my computer. But I have yet to pick a mic. It'd be nice to use this with some percussion instruments, acoustic guitar, and ukulele as well.. both for live and recording. (if this is possible)

I've been considering the AKG C1000S but was told it was horrible for vocals. Though, since I'm going to running quite a few effects (autotune, harmonizer, and vocoder) do you think it will matter as much? They're going for a relatively cheap price and that would help me out a ton.

John

I personally really like the Rode NT-3 for live vocals, as it has a natural sound (to my ears). Some have given it reviews on both ends of the spectrum.

Pretty versatile on other instruments too, although I've had limited experience in those areas with it (tried it a couple times on acoustic guitar paired with other mics and got decent results)

I've been wanting one of the Shure Beta 87a's for a long LONG time... IMO, those mic's are one of hte best live vocal mic's out there .... Heck, the Eagles used them on there last tour for their vocals ;)

Rick

My vote for the C1000S.

The few times that I had to mix singers using it live were some of the best live vocal mixes I ever did! AMAZING sound for live!

Depending upon your voice and what you are after in your sound for a recording, this mic could work great!

They are built like tanks. I have dropped mine several times, and it sounds as good as any new one I have used.

Well, depending how much you want to spend (and how loud your soundstage is), top ranked mics would also include the previously mentioned Neumann KMS-105, Audix VX-10 (and there may be a new model Audix as well) and the AT AE5400. If you have a really loud soundstage,you may be better off with a high quality performing dynamic like the OM-6.

If you want a bargain,track down the AE5400's predecessors the AT-4054 and AT-4055. Basically the same mic as the AE5400, except one is rolled-off and the other isn't. The AE5400 has a roll-off switch. Same element as the AT-4050. They go for @$150 or so on e-bay.

Last edited:
My vote for the C1000S.

The few times that I had to mix singers using it live were some of the best live vocal mixes I ever did! AMAZING sound for live!

Depending upon your voice and what you are after in your sound for a recording, this mic could work great!

They are built like tanks. I have dropped mine several times, and it sounds as good as any new one I have used.

Helpful as always :rolleyes:

I have no experience with this mic, so I'm just bringing it up for debate, but a lot of people recommend the Shure SM7 for studio use on "more aggressive" singers. Being that it is dynamic but also can track well, as I've read, would that make the cut of what he is wanting to use it for?

RE:http://homerecording.com/bbs/images/icons/icon14.gif

I hope you are using a gate with a condenser Mike on stage:eek:
Condenser mics pick up way too much background noise causing excessive reverb feedback which is a sound reinforcement nightmare.

for stage use I would use a dynamic mic.
Shure SM 57 for the Instrument and a SM58 for vocals very good Inexpensive equipment.

I hope you are using a gate with a condenser Mike on stage:eek:
Condenser mics pick up way too much background noise causing excessive reverb feedback which is a sound reinforcement nightmare.

for stage use I would use a dynamic mic.
Shure SM 57 for the Instrument and a SM58 for vocals very good Inexpensive equipment.

You gotta get out more bud.:) Lots of people use condensers on stage these days, in the appropriate place they are no problem and sound great.

I don't know about you guys, but to me, a gate on the lead vocals sounds like a recipe for disaster...

i dont know about you guys but using a condenser mic on stage sounds like a recipe for disaster especially if you are a sound guy:eek:

evidently you don't know much about sound reinforcement

if you have ever sang at a large venue that has a lot of echoe in the building I can guarantee you the sound man ran your mic through a gate to cancel out any background noise during rests and instrumental solos in order to eleminate reverberation even with a directional dynamic mic.;)

Last edited:
You gotta get out more bud.:) Lots of people use condensers on stage these days, in the appropriate place they are no problem and sound great.

you won't use one on any venue I am doing the sound on because condenser Mics on stage are a pain in the ass to keep from making the speakers squeal:mad:

a condenser mic picks up everything on the stage, theyre great for a church choir but not for a soloist with instrumental accompanyment. unless you are singing acapella a condenser mic has no place on a sound stage IMHO

Great for the studio but not live performances.

Back