SSL 4000 vs. API compressor

bkkornaker

www.bryankmusic.com
ok, im torn between the 2 WAVES plugins. Im looking for something to put on my master buss as a compressor so i can gently caress my mixes and maybe add some excitement too. Something to feed my stuff into while i mix.....

i currently use the SSL 4000 compressor (waves) on my master buss, and it works great! but it does kinda thin things out some and shorten the stereo field a bit......not too bad, but........

i was wondering if anyone has tried both the SSl and the API compressors on thier master buss for mixing, and if they had a preference.......and why?

i still use and love the SSL plug, but im still looking for the ultimate compressor i can use on my master buss while i mix. I dont want to drop the cash on something unless i am re-assured that its worth it.....

IMHO, I'd stay away from Waves plugins altogether. Overpriced, and just OK sounding.......

I think you need to broaden your search beyond these two compressors. There are other great buss compressors out there.

PSP MasterComp is one. Very clean sound, can definitely do that gentle caress thing.

http://www.pspaudioware.com/indexen.html?url=http://www.pspaudioware.com/plugins/mastercomp.html;

Chandler Limited makes a couple limiters that have a kind of attitude to them that's really nice.

http://www.chandlerlimited.com/products/plugin_tglimiterpack.php

I own an API 2500 hardware unit which I love, but I've never used the plugin so I don't know how it compares as far as what it does to the sound.

thanks for the tips Sonic Al......

ive had the PSP compressor a way while back....and its been sitting there un-used. I think i may have even un-installed it cause i never really used it. :mad:

I may have to dig through my pile and see if i can try that one again....

do you prefer your (hardware) API 2500 over the PSP plug?

Having used both of them, the API is 'grabbier' than the SSL. The SSL is more like glue and the API makes it pump. It seems much harder to get a subtle compression out of the API.

Having used both of them, the API is 'grabbier' than the SSL. The SSL is more like glue and the API makes it pump. It seems much harder to get a subtle compression out of the API.

thats why i love the ssl bus comp :) i love the subtlety, i cant deal with pumpiness.

You can absolutely get subtle compression out of the API 2500 hardware unit. Or make it pump. It's a great great unit.

As far as preferring the 2500 over the PSP MasterComp, they are two very different compressors that have their own sound and uses. I can't say that I like one more than the other, just that I would use them for different things.

That said, I do prefer the sound of excellent hardware over plugins. So the API hardware definitely has more mojo and a sound, in my opinion. It's also a heck of a lot more expensive!

is there something else you would strongly recommend?

I would strongly recommend a hardware compressor, but if you're gonna go plugin, I still am a huge fan of the UAD stuff. Cheaper than Waves and a lot more mojo.

thanks for the responses guys.....

im really thinking about grabbing the API plug now. Can you purchases just the stand alone plug buy itself? or do i have to buy the whole bundle?

i really dont feel like getting the whole bundle, cause the SSL channel plug i have i use extensivly, and would not replace that with the API EQ or Compressor.

i guess ill have to download the trial version and see what the API comperssor is all about.....

Back