SR77 vs. KM184 for OH and acoustic guitar

SCLlama

I plan on getting a stereo pair of one of these mics (SR77 or KM184) that is primarily going to be an overhead drum mic (mostly just for cymbals, since i have everything else mic'd individual). I would also like to have it play the role of acoustic guitar mic too though. Which do you guys suggest?

-Ryan

I don't know who makes the SR-77, but I just got a pair of KM-184s today. You can read my early review of them on my post. I don't think you'd be disappointed with them.

I have a pair of SR-71's and a pair of KM-184's. The 184's have a little more character. The 71's are flat as a pool table. If I could only have one pair I'd have to lean towards the KM-184's

If you're looking for cheaper alternatives, there are the 603's, the Rode NT-5's, and the upcoming Studio Projects C4's. However, I didn't get the impression that you were bargain-hunting.

I'd also take a look at the matched pair of Oktava MC-012's from The Sound Room (www.oktava.com). For about $650, you get a matched pair of small diaphragm condensers, with Cardiod, HyperCardiod, and Omni capsules. These come with all of the documentation regarding the matching process, and (from what I've heard), the service is quite good. In addition, if you decide that you want to increase your choices, you can add a set of large diaphragme capsules (the LOMO M1), also matched pair, for an additional $850. That gives a tremendous amount of versatility for a price that's a little more than the KM184's.

Caveat: I haven't used these mics, but have it on good authority that they are terrific. I'm sure others here can add to the discussion.

Bottom line: you're probably going to find all of them to be pretty good mics. Then, it's up to the sound that you like. Personally, I'd go for the Oktavas, for their versatility.

-mg

I also have a matched pair of SoundRoom Octava MC-012's with the three capsules. These see more action than my Earthworks.

Track Rat said:
I also have a matched pair of SoundRoom Octava MC-012's with the three capsules. These see more action than my Earthworks.

It's good to have this kind of direct input, so a few questions on these two if you will.:)
Does the Earthworks cardioid's low roll-off show up as being a bit thin -(for over heads or full kit mics, in other applications?)

And on the MC-012; I gather the cardioid patten is fairly wide?
I'd like to get some extra isolation over the drums to minimize bleed from around the room. I hadn't considered thier Hyper capsules. Any comments there?

Thanks a bunch.
Wayme

I feel the Earthworks are a little too thin for overheads. I like the Octavas better there. The Earthworks are better on acoustic instruments than overheads.
And yes, the Octavas cardiod is a wide cardiod. There is a hyper cardiod capsule that's tighter.

Back