SR16

I'm not sure if you are using sloppy terminology or if you're confused about how the DM5 works. The trigger inputs on the DM5 are for audio signals. The idea is that you can trigger it either from piezo sensors on a kit or from already recorded audio signals.

You don't need a DM5 if all you want to do is play sounds triggered by MIDI from a keyboard - any MIDI equipped drum machine should do it.
I am always confused Jimmy, like Nigel 🥰🥰
The guitar is a Guild S100, and my amp was a Guild Thunderbird. The amp was about 35 watts 2x12 w/7591A tubes. I got the amp around '68. The guitar is a '74. Before that I had a Fender Jaguar. I still have both Guilds. Unfortunately, the Jag was sold so I could buy a motorcycle.

View attachment 123845

The bassist's amp behind me was a Traynor YBA3 with a pair of home made 2x15 cabinets. That thing was a monster.

I've never heard of a Carlsbro Scorpion. The UK amps that we saw were Vox and Marshall, although at that point the USA distributed Vox amps were switching to transistors and being made in the US by Thomas Organ. They had the Buckingham, Berkeley, Super Beatle. They weren't AC30s or AC50s like the UK had.

And there were no drum machines. You either had Ludwig, Slingerland or Gretsch drums and a long haired dude with sticks!
Thats a nice SG type guitar and a big combo! Guild did a Red Special Brian May replica a few years back.

The guitar is a Guild S100, and my amp was a Guild Thunderbird. The amp was about 35 watts 2x12 w/7591A tubes. I got the amp around '68. The guitar is a '74. Before that I had a Fender Jaguar. I still have both Guilds. Unfortunately, the Jag was sold so I could buy a motorcycle.

View attachment 123845

The bassist's amp behind me was a Traynor YBA3 with a pair of home made 2x15 cabinets. That thing was a monster.

I've never heard of a Carlsbro Scorpion. The UK amps that we saw were Vox and Marshall, although at that point the USA distributed Vox amps were switching to transistors and being made in the US by Thomas Organ. They had the Buckingham, Berkeley, Super Beatle. They weren't AC30s or AC50s like the UK had.

And there were no drum machines. You either had Ludwig, Slingerland or Gretsch drums and a long haired dude with sticks!
It sounded great, very crunchy, all SS. I think SS amps sounded much better in the 70s than the fizzy garbage in the 80's Something to do with the capacitors. Beyond my knowledge. Thats why I have always been a bit sceptical. I should have kept that amp.

Attachments

• im_75_09-30.jpg
    im_75_09-30.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 2
I'm not sure if you are using sloppy terminology or if you're confused about how the DM5 works. The trigger inputs on the DM5 are for audio signals. The idea is that you can trigger it either from piezo sensors on a kit or from already recorded audio signals.

You don't need a DM5 if all you want to do is play sounds triggered by MIDI from a keyboard - any MIDI equipped drum machine should do it.
Thanks James, I went back online but the DM5 has gone. I should have just given him the 100 quid for the module and the rack, cheap deal. Never mind, I will just use the SR16, it is as good as I will ever need. The samples and sounds are great, the gated reverbs are shit, so I will use it dry and use it with the Midiverb 4. The pads are awful so I will trigger it from the stage piano Controller.

Cheers James, appreciated 😉👍

I've got an SR18. Lots of great sounds in it, but programming it sucks.

I did find that I could feed the midi data out from a file built in MTPDK, and then feed the audio back into the interface so that I got the Alesis drum sounds with the midi pattern. The only real issue was that MTPDK has more drum triggers than the Alesis. It needed to have a couple of internal sounds rerouted to a similar sound.
Just found a DM5 module on Gumtree for 75 quid Rich, same brain as the 18 bit SR18 ? But rack mount. It is in the original box with the power supply and all the manuals in mint condition. It was listed as collection only but have offered full price via Pay Pal straight away and asked if I can arrange a courier. Its a steal at that price? Hoping he will get back to me mate

Just found a DM5 module on Gumtree for 75 quid Rich, same brain as the 18 bit SR18 ? But rack mount. It is in the original box with the power supply and all the manuals in mint condition. It was listed as collection only but have offered full price via Pay Pal straight away and asked if I can arrange a courier. Its a steal at that price? Hoping he will get back to me mate
Messing about with the SR16 today Rich and those pads really are a bit pointless even if you are a drummer to be honest. They are 8 stage steps in the dynamic range so not really touch sensitive, complete waste of time? What on earth is the point of that??? I would rather trigger from a piano controller key.

Messing about with the SR16 today Rich and those pads really are a bit pointless even if you are a drummer to be honest. They are 8 stage steps in the dynamic range so not really touch sensitive, complete waste of time? What on earth is the point of that??? I would rather trigger from a piano controller key.
Complete lack of any feel on the SR16 Pads due to the stepped nature of the dynamic control, totally useless. I dont know if the 18 uses the same system.

Yeah, I never got anything decent trying to use the pads. I did some things with the internal patterns. You have two patterns and a couple of transitions, but the transitions can be varied by shortening or lengthening the number of beats. It was my first foray into drum machines about back around 2009. I probably would have better off with something with the bigger pads. Those little ones are pretty hard to use, and not being a drummer, my timing gets even worse trying to use them.

I can't tell you if the DM5 is a good buy or not. 75GBP would be just over $100 US. Looking on Reverb and Ebay, it looks like they are going for $125 to 175 used. If you have triggers and know how to play, you might be ok.

For now, I'm sticking mostly with MTPDK.

Yeah, I never got anything decent trying to use the pads. I did some things with the internal patterns. You have two patterns and a couple of transitions, but the transitions can be varied by shortening or lengthening the number of beats. It was my first foray into drum machines about back around 2009. I probably would have better off with something with the bigger pads. Those little ones are pretty hard to use, and not being a drummer, my timing gets even worse trying to use them.

I can't tell you if the DM5 is a good buy or not. 75GBP would be just over $100 US. Looking on Reverb and Ebay, it looks like they are going for $125 to 175 used. If you have triggers and know how to play, you might be ok.

For now, I'm sticking mostly with MTPDK.
Thanks Rich, I thought I was going mad or I had bought a dud until I discovered the dynamics on the pads were stepped. Its so much nicer to hit the drums via the keys on our controller IMHO. Its just so much more tactile.
Thanks.. what is MTPDK?

MT PowerDrumKit https://www.powerdrumkit.com/

It's free to use, you just have to skip the nag screen when you start up the plugin. I found it worth donating $20. That gets rid of the nag screen. It's a Freeware donation thing on the web page. It's worth spending $10 or 20. It's loaded with patterns that you can drop and drag to build a full song. The drum set is set, but you can add compression, change the note triggers etc. Then you could also feed the midi data from the track to either the DM5 or SR16 to use the sounds. It took me some work to figure out the process, since I never fooled with midi devices.

It's worth the price just for throwing together quick and dirty drum tracks.

It's free to use, you just have to skip the nag screen when you start up the plugin. I found it worth donating $20. That gets rid of the nag screen. It's a Freeware donation thing on the web page. It's worth spending $10 or 20. It's loaded with patterns that you can drop and drag to build a full song. The drum set is set, but you can add compression, change the note triggers etc. Then you could also feed the midi data from the track to either the DM5 or SR16 to use the sounds. It took me some work to figure out the process, since I never fooled with midi devices.

Thanks Rich, the plugins on the DAW stuff replicate the hardware now. I will definately check this out.
I am new to DAW and I know that people are saying that Reaper is the one to use.... but.... I will stick to my guns for the time being with Cakewalk free and see how it goes... so much to learn... havent even scratched the surface.....interfaces, plug ins ... how to integrate outboard hardware...how to use my condenser mikes....
Arrghh my head hurts 😇🥰🥰🤪🤪

Thanks Rich, the plugins on the DAW stuff replicate the hardware now. I will definately check this out.
I am new to DAW and I know that people are saying that Reaper is the one to use.... but.... I will stick to my guns for the time being with Cakewalk free and see how it goes... so much to learn... havent even scratched the surface.....interfaces, plug ins ... how to integrate outboard hardware...how to use my condenser mikes....
Arrghh my head hurts 😇🥰🥰🤪🤪
Sometimes I will just go back to my comfort zone from 1995 though. Atari with old Cubase 3 and the MT8X analogue with the Korg X5. That synth has great drums!

Ahh .. that looks good Rich👍

Listenening to this in the past it sounded like a pile of junk with a bag of hammer drums and the bassline lost. But I put my AKG neutral cans on and sounds quite nice theys days. The rock kit from the X5 is still a bit in yer face and the bass sound needs more middle and punch and the power synth is a bit too high in the mix and the guitar solo sounds are a bit weedy, but.... with neutral eq cans.... its ok not too bad. The MT8X is a lovely machine. I would deffo lose the stupid over the top drum fill at the start though 😇🥰

If you want to hear something done with MT Power Drumkit then tracks 2, 3 and 4 on this were created with it

Some of the patterns have been edited in places to fit better and I've squeezed and stretched the tempo slightly to make it sound more human but most of it is from the standard MTPDK patterns.

Tracks 1 and 5 have a talented real drummer (not me).

Back