sr-16

Young Chris 101

i have my alesis sr-16 hooked up through midi in an out. and i also have fruity loops. does anyone know if i can use this to an advantage like samplin drums from my sr-16 to fruity loops and vice verca. i tried to sample some alesis drums to fruity loops but i dont know how to do it. any help.. thanx

hello Young Chris 101...I'm hardly a midi expert, so I can only offer a few pointers...hopefully, someone more knowledgeable will come along shortly...you say you're "hooked up through midi in and out" so I'll assume you're using something like the MOTU USB FastLane for your connections...
after the proper connections are made the 1st thing you need to decide is whether you want FruityLoops (and your computer hardware) or the sr16 to act as the timing-clock master...perhaps the most basic application would be to use FruityLoops to control/trigger drum sounds from your sr16...in this case it'll probably be best to let FruityLoops and your computer (soundcard) control the timing, which means you will need to setup the sr16 as "slave" to the midi time-code generated by your audio hardware/software...just follow the midi-setup instructions in the back of the sr16 manual and set it to slave to the in-coming midi time-code...now you need to setup the midi functions in FruityLoops to act as "master"...there will be several other midi values for you to set in the FruityLoops midi-setup window--one of them will undoubtedly allow you to select your sr16 as the connected device...this should be enough to get you started, until someone more familiar with FruityLoops comes along.

Back