Squish them vocals and punch that mix!

Grinning

Hi~

I recently gor a 424MKII and am in heaven! I've had for some time now Dragon's favorite compressor the Alesis 3630. :P

Since I'm newbie #1, how do I connect the two when I want to:
1)record vocals. Do I run the mic through the compressor first (appropriate attachments, etc) before I plug into the mixer?

2) compress the entire mix. Should I take the signals from the "line out" jacks and plug them directly into the compressor before sending them to mix-down deck? If so, any advice on cables, since my line out jacks are RCA.

Thanks very much!!!
-Grinning

Thanks tbowen - I really appreciate the reply and help.

Something comes to mind (lightbulb above my head). I am assuming you send the vocal signal through the comp. via the aux send and record only the aux return signal, not the direct signal (right?).

I'm not sure how this works for other muti-tracks, but on my 424, the return channel is 5-6, or 7-8. Neither of which I can adjust EQ or pan. Also, how would one get effects then added to these vocals?

Instead, would it be possible to send the signal still via the aux send, say from channel 1 and plug the output of the comp. into another channel (i.e. channel 2)?

Hey you 424II owners, how do you do it?

Your wisdom = make my day!
-Grinning

I am not familiar with that Tascam deck only fostex. But i will try my best here. 1. For the vocals I would run the compressor through the effects loop(aux send & aux return) on the tascam and set your levels and preferences on the compressor and then record.
2. For the entire mix. Yes you definately need it to boost back your levels since you are losing 10db on mixdown. So i am thinking I would put it between your tascam and tape deck. So yes use the line out. If you don't have RCA's on the comp. I am guessing you will need some adapters. try radio shack they should work as good as anyone elses.
Hope this helped.
peace out,
-thomas

Apologies, I forgot...the 424 doesn't have insert jacks, so you'll have to plug the mic into the compressor and then boost the signal (using the compressor) and go from the compressor out to the 424 line in. Sorry about that...

Like the rabbit I'm late to this thread. Does anyone have a circuit for an anlogue compressor?

Last edited:
Back