Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass Fretless or ESP LTD B204 SM Fretless?

_brian_

Hey everyone,

I've checked around and there is no shop locally that have both these guitars for me to try. I've been wanting to get a fretless bass for a long long time and now I'm wanting to take the plunge.

I've done some research and these are the two guitars I've found that are in my price point. I don't see the need to spend any more than around £300 because this will be my first fretless. But I would like a recordable sound.

Can anyone give me advice as to which guitar may be more suitable?

I really like the fretless sounding bass Talk Talk used in the later work. As well as John Deacon's fretless bass playing on some Queen tracks, but I really just want a playable instrument which gives me a variety of usable sounds.

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks :)

Check out Japan's later period for excellent rockish fretless slidy sound.
As to the squires - no idea - sorry.

Check out Japan's later period for excellent rockish fretless slidy sound.
As to the squires - no idea - sorry.

Hey rayc, never been a big fan of Japan, had a listen anyway and understand what you mean. Listened to Tin Drum, some unusual soundscapes.

I found a site which gives a review on each of the guitars i mentioned. And has the ESP for the player who is willing to pay a little more, but this must have been written when the price point was higher than it is now.

Squier Vintage Modified Fretless Jazz Bass

A guitar such as the Squier Vintage Modified Fretless Jazz bass would make an absolutely ideal model for a player who was just starting out, though many players with more experience choose the model too, for its mellow sound and build quality.

It has a one piece maple neck with an Ebonol fingerboard which makes it very easy for beginners to know exactly where they`re playing and positioning their notes. Players will note how punchy the sound is and how controllable the treble is.

If you`re a bassist who tends to play closer to the neck of the guitar, the sound will become much warmer and relaxed, too.

ESP LTD B204 SM

One of the newest and mid priced range fretless basses on the market is the four string ESP LTD B204 SM. For a slightly higher price point, this bass does a good job of sounding like a much more expensive instrument.

One of the main features it offers is comfort for the player. The fret board has smoother, rolled off edges which mean it is comfortable to hold and makes pitching notes much easier. It has standard ESP pickups which offer, good, reliable sounds and tones. The guitar also offers a good balance control which means that the output of the two pickups can be effortlessly blended.
---------------------------------------------
So, looking at that I'd be more inclined to go for the ESP, not the best way of judging though tbh.

This may not help much, but

I do have the Squire, and I must say I'm thoroughly disappointed. I don't get anything even approximating the sound I wanted out of it. Mine has been in the case for years now. If you weren't in the UK, I'd sell mine to you for a pretty good price. It's dead mint. But by the time you include shipping, it obviously wouldn't be worth it to you.

That being said (my disillusionment), I did hear a guy play one (the Squire) in a store, through a Hartke 4x10 setup, and it sounded exactly like what I was looking for.

I have therefor concluded that, as is usual in my case, the problem is in the fingers. In other words, operator error. No, that can't be it. Perhaps I just need different strings.

I have no idea about the ESP. Sorry.

I do have the Squire, and I must say I'm thoroughly disappointed. I don't get anything even approximating the sound I wanted out of it. Mine has been in the case for years now. If you weren't in the UK, I'd sell mine to you for a pretty good price. It's dead mint. But by the time you include shipping, it obviously wouldn't be worth it to you.

That being said (my disillusionment), I did hear a guy play one (the Squire) in a store, through a Hartke 4x10 setup, and it sounded exactly like what I was looking for.

I have therefor concluded that, as is usual in my case, the problem is in the fingers. In other words, operator error. No, that can't be it. Perhaps I just need different strings.

I have no idea about the ESP. Sorry.

Thanks for that notcardio, sorry to hear you didn't have a good experience of it. Did you at least enjoy playing the bass or was there something that put you off it as well as the sound?

Thanks for that notcardio, sorry to hear you didn't have a good experience of it. Did you at least enjoy playing the bass or was there something that put you off it as well as the sound?

Sorry I didn't see this earlier.

Well, first of all, generally the whole reason for playing a fretless is for the sound, whatever it is your looking for. So if you don't get the sound, it's kind of off-putting.

There is something kind of cool about playing a fretless though (I've got two uprights, want one?), but the Squire just doesn't do it for me. I should probably try some different strings, but I really do think it's the ebanol board that makes me feel kind of like it's not a real bass. I've got a super cheapie chinese SX fretless P bass (maple board, no less) that I find much more satisfying, both to play and for the sound.

I've had a SQUIER (not squire) Vintage Modified Fretless Jazz for many years.

I absolutely LOVE it. I've had MANY high end fretless basses - Sadowsky, Zon, Pedulla, Rob Allen...

The Squier is the only fretless I currently own. Like any wooden instrument, especially fretless, setup is KEY in getting good tone.

It also has a lot to do with technique - I've known many players who try fretless for a few minutes and give up saying the tone sucks. Cliche but true, a lot of the tone is in the hands.

Try one with a good truss rod/bridge setup and nice nickels rounds.

Squier really has turned around. Impressive array of instruments!
fred

Back