Squier Telecaster Custom

riotshield

Anyone played one? They're supposed to be released later in September but I read that some local stores have them. Looks effing sweet, especially if I could get a custom-made red pearloid pickguard on it :) The retail price is $199

Attachments

• 515113.jpg
    515113.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 127
It's amazing to me that they can produce these guitars for such a low price. That's not a bad little deal at all.

Well, I pre-ordered one and it shipped today, even though it wasn't supposed to be available until next week or so. I'll post some pics of it when I get it.

Does anyone know where I can get a pickguard cut for it? I was hoping I could mail it to someone and have a red tortoise shell one made, but I don't know anyone who offers that service.

i definatly have to agree with you there, i work at musicians friend, in the returns department. and have seen a couple of these come back. they are seriously one of the best deals i have seen in a long time. these guitars are amazing for the price they get.

Thank you Thank you Thank you for that Warmoth site link.

I am left handed, just bought a new Tele, and thought I was out of luck for finding any aftermarket pickguards. The guitar is Midnight Wine color, and though I actually do like the white pickguard, this is going to be my main guitar now and I wanted a white or grey perloid pickguard.

I'm quite happy.

It looks like the Tele Custom I had in the 70's, for that price read Made in China.
But like the man says, for that price you can't go wrong.

I got it today, plays and sounds great. The only change it needs are new strings (came with 9's, I'll replace them with 10's). It's also the first Squier I've bought that played perfectly right out of the box. As promised here are some pics (had to shrink them to upload):

Attachments

• smalltele.jpg
    smalltele.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 56
morindae said:
It's amazing to me that they can produce these guitars for such a low price. That's not a bad little deal at all.

It's simple.

Fender gives all the specs to Samick.

Samick does all the work in Korea for extremely cheap labor costs. They also make all of the hardware and electronics themselves. It cuts down their costs considerably and they're never at the mercy of un-dependable suppliers or striking employees.

The Koreans have come a long way in guitar-making in the past decade. They're producing top-notch stuff for a very low cost. The thing you give up, though, is the higher-quality woods and better electronics. The woods aren't that much of a problem, but you need to swap-out the pick-ups to get a better (read: non-cheap) sound out of these guitars.

Samick does have pretty good quality control. However, I have not seen a Made in Korea Squier in over 5 years, so I think they are going with a different company. The newer Squiers made in China and Indonesia are less consistent, but generally good.

I say go for it. I've played a Squier Strat since 96 and refuse to part with it. I've spent way more money in replacing the pups and some of the hardware than I did for the guitar itself. It plays great and is very reliable. I've got a Joe Barden Strat deluxe in the bridge, SD Cool Rails in the middle and SD Hot Rails in the neck. I also replaced the pickguard with a blue pearly looking thing so now it's black and blue.

Back