Spot delays for vocals

tranquillant

Hey!

I am trying to record spot delays on vocals. This being end of a verse where I want the last words to ring few times after they're said
How is this done, is it done by cutting the sentence from the vocal track and pasting it on a different track?
Or is it done by using delay and envelopes to get the delay into the place where I want it?

There are two typical ways I can think of.

The first is to cut that one word and put it on it's own track with the delay on it as an insert.
The positive to this is that there is no need to automate anything. The negatives are that you will add extra processing because you'd probably want the same EQ and compression. That processing will effect the computer the whole time, and because it's just a word here and there, it might not be worth it.

The second is to set up a bus/aux with the delay on it, and then automate the send bypass on the vocal channel so it only comes on when you want it to.

Personally, I would prefer to do the first way, but my computer is a bit old and lacks power, so sometimes it isn't a viable option. I do think it's easier though.

There are two typical ways I can think of.

The first is to cut that one word and put it on it's own track with the delay on it as an insert.
The positive to this is that there is no need to automate anything. The negatives are that you will add extra processing because you'd probably want the same EQ and compression. That processing will effect the computer the whole time, and because it's just a word here and there, it might not be worth it.

The second is to set up a bus/aux with the delay on it, and then automate the send bypass on the vocal channel so it only comes on when you want it to.

Personally, I would prefer to do the first way, but my computer is a bit old and lacks power, so sometimes it isn't a viable option. I do think it's easier though.

Thanks!

I think I'll try the first way...I'm sure my pc is up to the task

The third way is a combo of the two and the least power hungry. Take all the effects and processing off of your main vocal track. Put that one word on it's own track with it's own delay. Then send the original vocal, and your one word delay track to a group vocal track that has all the rest of your vocal processing. You will have your main vocal, and your special one word delay, and they'll both being going through the same processing.

The third way is a combo of the two and the least power hungry. Take all the effects and processing off of your main vocal track. Put that one word on it's own track with it's own delay. Then send the original vocal, and your one word delay track to a group vocal track that has all the rest of your vocal processing. You will have your main vocal, and your special one word delay, and they'll both being going through the same processing.

Thanks Greg!!!

I think the grouping in reaper is done by foldering the tracks... haven't really learned about this yet... I guess I have to study about it

Thanks Greg!!!

I think the grouping in reaper is done by foldering the tracks... haven't really learned about this yet... I guess I have to study about it

I don't "folder" anything. I just click the little i/o button and "send" things wherever I want them to go.

+1 to this. This is how I've done it in the past when needed.

By the way, I've used the method I described about a million times. I'm not saying it's the only way, I just know it works and uses very little CPU power. It works great on my ancient computer.

I don't "folder" anything. I just click the little i/o button and "send" things wherever I want them to go.

ahh right! You mean an separete FX bus for my vocal processing. Now I got it *hits his slow brains with a sledgehammer* that oughta do it...

Just to add, you could split the word you want to effect and then select it, ctrl+e and add the delay effect just to that part.

A handy way to just change little snippets :thumbs up:

Just to add, you could split the word you want to effect and then select it, ctrl+e and add the delay effect just to that part.

A handy way to just change little snippets :thumbs up:

Thanks!

Now I have bunch of ways for doing it!! Excellente! Time to try them in action as I get off work

Another way is to take the sound you want and loop it, making sure it hits the beat. there is no processing. I have not fully investigated Reaper's looping effects, but it does work with loops and what I like about loops is you can control the delay to hit on any beat with more precision.

Another way is to take the sound you want and loop it, making sure it hits the beat. there is no processing. I have not fully investigated Reaper's looping effects, but it does work with loops and what I like about loops is you can control the delay to hit on any beat with more precision.

Alright, have to check the looping options myself...haven't really done that either

I'd think just automate the fx (send or what ever) 'cause even if you do split to a new track nine out'a ten you'll be tweaking it throughout anyway.

Back