Splitting notes to tracks--need timesaver advice

VertuGoGo

my drummer and i finally succeeded in recording an electronic drumkit into a midi track, and then splitting the notes to tracks and dumping them into audio tracks. but looking ahead, we realized that it would be a very long process come this thursday when we go to my friend's house and use his TD-10 equipped roland kit.

we now know after you "split notes to tracks," you'll have to play back a track while an audio track records it, and then repeat for the other audio tracks. as far as we know, you can only do one track at a time. so, for a 4 minute song, you'll have to play 4 minutes times the number of tracks that was split--so if we use a 5 piece drumkit plus 4 cymbals, we'd be using about 36 minutes just dumping each midi track into an audio track (9 tracks times 4 min each track). that's 36 minutes per song and we only have a couple of hours available.

this is a problem for us because we know that we need the TD-10 hooked up to my computer while we're performing all these midi functions, and we only have this thursday for a couple of hours to do all the work (6 songs). we thought about using my drummer's yamaha drum brain as the midi module when we perform the dumping each midi track into an audio track part of the process, but he said he doubts that its sound quality would even come close to the TD-10's, or if it'll even work since we switched midi modules mid-way.

what takes the most time is dumping from midi to audio. anybody have any tips on saving time doing this part?

I don't understand why you think you can only do one track at a time?

If you play back the midi drums (using the Roland module), all the drums will playback via the 4 (or 8, depending on the brain) audio outputs.... so you can do at least 4 tracks at a time - sending 4 drum tracks to output at each of the 4 audio outputs..........

Am I missing something here??

oops, i forgot to mention that we used the yamaha drum module to practice recording, splitting, and dumping the drum tracks. we didn't use the TD-10, but we are going to this thursday.

also, the reason why we were thinking you can only dump one track at a time was because the book we have (sonar2 power) said to mute all midi tracks except the one we're going to dump into an audio track. it didn't say anything about being able to do multiple midi-to-audio dumping.

i have a Audiophile 2496 sound card btw.

Back