Splitting mono signal L/R simultaneously?

seamus

Hi all,

I'm a newbie with recording, and was wondering the best way to do something. I am using the Omni Studio w/Delta 66, Sans Amp DI for bass, SM57 for guitar, and n-track for my software solution. The recordings themselves sound good, I just need to mix them properly.

When I record my bass or guitar tracks, I'm basically just recording a mono track to one side, either left or right.

Is there:

1) A way I can record so that my output would be recorded to both the left and right sides simultaneously?

or

2) A way to use the software to do the same thing once I have a mono track already recorded? In effect, just doubling a mono recording so that it plays back from both the left and right sides?

Since I am using a DI box for bass and a mic for guitar, I am plugging into only one preamp at a time on the Omni box(usually #1 on the left side). Seems that the n-track monitors only detect a left side signal when I record, which seems normal to me given I am plugging into only one input on the box.

Is there such a thing as a XLR Y-cable for doing what I want to do? I'm unsure if the best way for me to go about this is to use a certain cable, the hardware, or the software to achieve a recording with the same thing coming from both speakers?

I also do not know if this is just a matter of checking certain settings in N-track as I am still uncertain of what many of them mean. What's strange to me is that while monitoring through the box as I'm playing, it sounds like the output is coming through both the left and right just fine, but the program only records the left side.

As you can see, I'm kind of lost with all this and feel like a dope. :( Is this the wrong way to go about recording altogether? Are there other things I should try?

Thanks for any help! :)

on your recording vu meter, click settings and check off "stereo - 2 mono tracks".....

Btw, when you record in mono you are not really recording to the left side, you are recording on the left channel....once that track is recorded, by default it is panned center and thats why you are hearing it through both....from there you can pan it anywhere you want...hard left, halfway left......

the stereo tracks you will record will be on two separate mono tracks so you can also pan each of those anywhere you want...hard left n right...9:00 and 3:00 ....9:00 and hard right.....both left....anywhere......

if its a track thats already recorded, go into the trackview and right click on the wave and select "clone track", click off wave file definitely and any other parts you want cloned and choose "new track" under copy to track.....

Back