Splitting and Pasting Wav File Problem

NobleSavage

Yep, it's a newbie popping up cuz he's got a problem. I have searched every way I could imagine to and haven't found any similar threads, so now I ask of you:

Why is it that sometimes when I split wav files in Cakewalk 1, it sometimes creates a 1 to 2 bar gap after the point I cut the file. I rightclick and choose split. I say to split at time 78 and it does, but it leaves a gap up to time 81. Not all the time, just sometimes... why?

Also, sometimes when I paste a wav file, it pastes it a bar after the previous one and not directly following it. I say paste at 10 and it actually pastes it at 11:25... why does it only do that sometimes?

Please, any help at all would definitely be appreciated!

First, what version of Cakewalk are you using?

Second, are you using the snap to grid feature? If so, it will want to align the new clip to that grid. Thus moving a clip that has been split.

You may also need to adjust your move by or move to settings. If you find that you are having trouble lining up clips together then the move to/by may be set too high. I personally set mine to 1. Not by measure. This gives me the finest control (as opposed to coarse control) for moving and lining up clips.

Hope this helps.

DS_Sultan said:
First, what version of Cakewalk are you using?

Second, are you using the snap to grid feature? If so, it will want to align the new clip to that grid. Thus moving a clip that has been split.

You may also need to adjust your move by or move to settings. If you find that you are having trouble lining up clips together then the move to/by may be set too high. I personally set mine to 1. Not by measure. This gives me the finest control (as opposed to coarse control) for moving and lining up clips.

Hope this helps.

Doh, should've said that I'm using Sonar 1.0. I'm not sure if I'm using snap to grid, can't find that adjustment anywhere and don't know about the move by or move to settings... I do know that it's only an occasional thing when this occurs, and I've (by my lack of knowing which setting is which) obviously never changed any settings... I love the program, but this tiny thing drives me nuts.

Thanks so much for the quick reply, though. It's very appreciated.

Snap to grid means, SONAR will "quantize" your data into nearest grid to your point. Click "N" to activate/deactivate it in track view.
To adjust the start timing of the clips, simply right click the data, click Clip Properties, and set the start point...

James Argo said:
To adjust the start timing of the clips, simply right click the data, click Clip Properties, and set the start point...

And it splits it at the start point, but then adds blank space for about a bar to 2 bars after the split. So, if I'm trying to remove space from the beginning of a way, it doesn't work, because it's deleting information I desire. That's the big problem. And to make it worse, it only happens occasionally... no way to predict it.

Thanks for the reply though! :)

NobleSavage said:

And to make it worse, it only happens occasionally... no way to predict it.
:)

...It just an indication that something wrong with your Sonar. Have you tried to reinstall it ? I use SONAR for month's and never get this problem before. :confused:

I'll try the re-install... I just thought it might be some odd function that I accidentally turned on.

Thanks for the patience and help!

Back