Splitting a live mutitrack session into separate song projects

Cazzbar

Throbbing Member
Just wondering how people go about this... after recording a live set I usually end up with 16 tracks about a couple of gigabytes each in size. I then want to work on each song in the session as a separate project.

I usually set the start and end markers for the first song and for each of the 16 tracks export the 3 minutes worth of audio into a separate project, and repeat for the 2nd song etc... but this can be very time consuming (a global export betwix the markers creating 16 new short audio files would be cool, but I couldn't find such an operation in the short time I've had Cubase Studio4). I realise I don't need to make copies of the original large audio files, and just have a separate arrangement for each song all using the same base files... but I'm not keen on having 15 songs say all dependent on the same files, plus if the software is consistently having to work with such large audio files would that cause a performance hit?

Oh well, just wondering what you guys would do!

Cazzbar said:
I usually set the start and end markers for the first song and for each of the 16 tracks export the 3 minutes worth of audio into a separate project, and repeat for the 2nd song etc... but this can be very time consuming (a global export betwix the markers creating 16 new short audio files would be cool, but I couldn't find such an operation in the short time I've had Cubase Studio4).
I'm not sure just what is so time consuming about splitting the track and exporting the parts as seperate files, that's a pretty simple and straightforward process. But you might want to look into the possibility of possibly writing a macro to do the exporting for you, if doing it manually is that much trouble. Then all you'd have to do is set the marker points and run the macro. I'd be suprised if someone hasn't already written a good one available on the Internet somewhere.

G.

Thanks Glen, it's just the slow speed of my machine...

Exporting Song1-Track1.. 1%...................................................................... 2%.........................

But if that's the way you guys do it then that's cool, new machine required ;)

I do this all the time with Cubase SX3. I just save the project under a different name and split up the audio clips. I don't see why that would give you a performance hit.

Kryptik said:
I do this all the time with Cubase SX3. I just save the project under a different name and split up the audio clips. I don't see why that would give you a performance hit.

Exactly. No real need to export it to a new file at all. Just set the left/right markers and save it as a new cpr file. Then you're only exporting it once (on mixdown, when you've finished working on the song)

Cool, I just selected the start and end of a song, performed a global copy, selected and deleted all tracks and pasted back the song, saving as a new project. All working fine... why haven't I done this before :confused: must have been a reason... can't think of one just now though...

Kryptik said:

Kryptik,
Please walk through exactly what you do. Thx.

Back