Splitting a guitar signal?

check musicians friend or ams or just about anywhere for an A/B box....that should do the trick

A guy around here handbuilds a tube AB-Y box for $225, I use it occasionally, it also rules as a tube bass direct box. If anyone is interested I can take a couple pics. Beats the crap out of anything I've ever heard.

guitar --> stereo effect (in my case rack) --> amp 1 and amp 2 ...good times!! thicker guitar sound

ok if you are trying to play on 2 amps at once then you can take 3 inputjacks
like these:

http://www.angela.com/catalog/guitar-amp-parts/INPUT_JACKS.html

Then use soder and a sodering iron and wire and soder the one input jack to the other 2 this will split your siginal to 2 amps. Here is one that i made i made another one thats better than this one but its at my drummers house.
Boss used to make em but quit. I got the inputs on this spliter off of my old crap stereo so thats why they look like black squares. The box i used had bullets in them you could use and box just drill holes in em for the jacks. make sure you wire it right or you will mess up you amps or somthing, i think you should understand so ill stop typing.

Attachments

• Im000319.jpg
    Im000319.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 121
  • Im000318.jpg
    Im000318.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 107
  • Im000317.jpg
    Im000317.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 111
If you want to run both amps simultaneously, you will be far better off getting an ABY with a buffer, not just a passive box. There are lots of factors that go awry, and going through a passive box when running both amps at once will give a 3db drop, which can suck the punch out. The Radial Switchbone (as mentioned above) is a great solution. It has drag correction, polarity correction, photo cells to eliminate any popping when switching, etc. Best ABY I've tried.

Anyone who's serious about splitting their signal? It's less than a lot of folks spent on pot every month ;)

I got mine on sale for $160.

Bryan R. Tyler said:
Anyone who's serious about splitting their signal? It's less than a lot of folks spent on pot every month ;)

I got mine on sale for $160.

is that a personal attack on me???
:eek:

what's said in SAS stays there dude..

You can't simply split a signal between two outputs. The impedance will be halved and thusly the output level will be lowered. The last A/B/Y splitter I made was basically a setup where if it came from the Y section, it went through a LM386-based amplification circuit, linear pot, and to both outputs, and if it went through A/B, it just went straight to the selected output. I used two 3PDT switches for true bypass. Works great.

Bryan R. Tyler said:
going through a passive box when running both amps at once will give a 3db drop

No it, won't. It is true that the load will increase on the guitar when driving two inputs, but the exact nature of the change depends on the output impedance of the guitar and the input impedance of the amps. In most situations, the difference will be very small, certainly less than 3dB. Now if you hook up 10 amps . . .

In fact I just set up an experiment with my bass driving two channels of an instrument input on a pre (1M ohm) using a Y cable. The difference between a single channel with the Y cable and a single channel with the straight cable was 0.03dB, which probably had more to do with the consistency of my playing ;)

Also, using an active buffer is no big deal when you are running through a pedal board, but if you are the sort that likes to run straight into a tube amp, the buffer will isolate the guitar from the tube.

Either way, this should be a $20 parts project . . . if you don't need all the extras like switchable boost, etc.

Some cats around here spend more monthly on weed than a lot of others have invested in their "studio". :eek:

mshilarious, were you using an active bass, or one with active pickups? And what preamp are you using that's allowing you to use both channels at the same time (I'll have to get me one of those :D)

Bryan R. Tyler said:
mshilarious, were you using an active bass, or one with active pickups? And what preamp are you using that's allowing you to use both channels at the same time (I'll have to get me one of those :D)

Nope, passive. An active bass probably could drive a dozen amps, although I don't like actives, so I don't have one with which to experiment. The preamp was an ART Digital MPA, using the instrument inputs.

Back