Split Stereo track to two Mono tracks

jhughs

I'll admit from the start I'm a beginner with Cakewalk, so there's probably a simple way to do this but it's just not coming to me.

How can I take a stereo track (say I recorded an instrument using two mics) and split it into two separate mono tracks? (So that I can process them separately.) Or am I just making things harder and should handle this differently.

You don't say what program you are using.

In Sonar 3, its Edit > Bounce to Tracks, then in the format section, choose "mix to separate left and right tracks."

Assuming that you're not using SONAR, a lot of audio editors will let you do that kind of stuff. Sound Forge is the first one that comes to mind; only because I use it.

UPdate

Ooops, sorry about not being clear; I'm using Home Studio XL.

Yes, I realize that if I just recorded to separate tracks it'd be easier.

In general, I want to just record to a WAV file using a laptop that just has a demo copy of MultiTrack studio on it (so I think I can only record either a mono track or a stereo track). I have to use the laptop because my desktop is in a poor location and itself generates noise. I'm using a small mixer so I can direct where the two mics get recorded (full left or full right).

Looking at bouncing, my options are:
1) Mix to a Single Track Stereo Event(s)
2) Mix to Separate Left and Right Tracks
3) Mix Stereo Content to Mono

What I'm thinking now is to choose option #3 but before bouncing set the pan for that track full left, bounce the track and then repeat the process for the right track with the pan full right.

jhughs said:
Ooops, sorry about not being clear; I'm using Home Studio XL.

Yes, I realize that if I just recorded to separate tracks it'd be easier.

In general, I want to just record to a WAV file using a laptop that just has a demo copy of MultiTrack studio on it (so I think I can only record either a mono track or a stereo track). I have to use the laptop because my desktop is in a poor location and itself generates noise. I'm using a small mixer so I can direct where the two mics get recorded (full left or full right).

Looking at bouncing, my options are:
1) Mix to a Single Track Stereo Event(s)
2) Mix to Separate Left and Right Tracks
3) Mix Stereo Content to Mono

What I'm thinking now is to choose option #3 but before bouncing set the pan for that track full left, bounce the track and then repeat the process for the right track with the pan full right.
I guess I wasn't clear enough the first time. :rolleyes: You want option #2. (Make sure you only have selected just the one stereo track that you want to split to mono.

However, to record two mono tracks, you will need a Y cable. You need a stereo connection where it connects to your computer (probably a 1/8" stereo miniplug), branching to two mono connections. Go see your friendly salesman at Radio Shack.

Thanks

Thanks Dachay2ntr.

Good news bad news...
Good news: You're 100% correct.
Bad news: That's obvious enough that I should've figured it out for myself. Since I'm not a congenital idiot I must be getting stupider. Maybe I should start having beer with breakfast.... at least then I'd have an excuse.

Thanks again.

Over they years I have donated many thousands of brain cells to alcohol and drug research. Now as I get older, I find I might have needed them. :(

dachay2tnr said:
Over they years I have donated many thousands of brain cells to alcohol and drug research. Now as I get older, I find I might have needed them. :(

Nah - you're doin' fine...

:D Q.

Back