Split a signal?

pointfive

Perfectly simple question: What are the best and easiest ways to split a signal coming from one guitar to go to two amps?

DI box?
Y-cable?
Something else?

Thanks.

There are several ways to do this, DI box if it has stereo outs, A-B splitter box, efx pedal with stereo outs, or just do like I do and slave one amp to the next. Y jacks work but they are noisy sometimes (not recomended).

Thanks everyone.

Dani Pace said:
...or just do like I do and slave one amp to the next.
By "slave", do you just mean route the out of one amp to the in of another amp? If so, do you have to worry about the second amp blowing out? (Since the signal, by my more-or-less ignorant logic, would be being amplified twice, correct?)

By "slaving amps" I mean; plug your guitar into the #1 input of an amp, (this will only work if your amp has 2 inputs on the same chanel) plug a cable into the #2 input of the same amp then into the #1 input on a second amp. Any efx between your guitar and amp #1 will be on both amps however efx on amp #1 (onboard or through an efx loop) will not affect amp #2. Any efx between amp #1 and amp #2 will only affect amp #2. Any efx on amp #2 will not affect amp #1. I usually set amp #1 clean to get clear and distinct sounds and use any efx on the second amp, this way I get distinguishable notes (from one amp) and all the overdrive and punch I want from the second. If you use the line out from one amp to another, any efx you use on the first will also occur on the second but efx on the second will not affect the first amp.
The slaving principal can be used to conect as many amps as you want to, SRV used to do this with a string of Fender amps (a bunch of them) as an example. The idea also works well to set one amp to bring out the treble and another to blast the bass out. (I often use a Fender Princeton Chorus as amp #1 and an Ibanez GX60 bass amp as the second, it works great for blusey stuff)
I hope this explaination helps.

You can also take a line out of the first amp and send it to the second amp set to clean.

Back