SPIDF w/laptop-Firepod

progmr

OK, sorry if this is a really dumb question but what I'm trying to do is allow for multiple instruments to access pc-based effects (guitar rig) and/or softsynth applications. Here how I have had success with guitar rig:

All instruments/mics into 8 channel mixer with Left side going to Firepod channel 1. GR listens on channel 1, processes the signal and the presonus output becomes main mix.

What I am wanting to do is also be able to take part of the dry signal and run it through softsynth such as Absynth. What I propose to do is use the mixer's Right main out into the Laptop's mic in, then use an analog to midi conversion application to access synth instruments then output via sound card's headphone jack to the Presonus and ultimatly out to main board.

Now my question, my laptop HP 8301) had a headphone jack and underneath shows 'SPDIF'. Would I be using SPDIF to input into the Firepod or would it be an 1/8" to 1/4" unbalanced into the line in on Firepod?

I'm not sue what SPDIF does exactly or what its use would buy me quality wise.

Thanks for the help!

progmr said:
OK, sorry if this is a really dumb question but what I'm trying to do is allow for multiple instruments to access pc-based effects (guitar rig) and/or softsynth applications. Here how I have had success with guitar rig:

All instruments/mics into 8 channel mixer with Left side going to Firepod channel 1. GR listens on channel 1, processes the signal and the presonus output becomes main mix.

What I am wanting to do is also be able to take part of the dry signal and run it through softsynth such as Absynth. What I propose to do is use the mixer's Right main out into the Laptop's mic in, then use an analog to midi conversion application to access synth instruments then output via sound card's headphone jack to the Presonus and ultimatly out to main board.

Now my question, my laptop HP 8301) had a headphone jack and underneath shows 'SPDIF'. Would I be using SPDIF to input into the Firepod or would it be an 1/8" to 1/4" unbalanced into the line in on Firepod?

I'm not sue what SPDIF does exactly or what its use would buy me quality wise.

Thanks for the help!

Well, S/PDif stand for Sony Phillips Digital Interface. It is a stereo (2 channel) digital transfer protocol over RCA connectors (75 ohm). If you've ever come across a home theater reciever with a "coaxial" audio output to transmit your dolby digital feed, this is the same thing.

So if your firepod has S/PDif (which I'm assuming it does) you can use that and the D/A process will occur in the Firepod. If you go with a standard analog connection from laptop to Firepod, then the D/A is happening in the computer.

Maybe I've missed something, but isn't your firepod connected via FW to the computer? Why do you need to make a seperate connection?
And for that matter, if you're going from laptop->Firepod->Mixer, why not bypass the Firepod and connect directly from the laptop output to the mixer input?

Also, you may have some problems with overgaining the signal coming from the mixer line out to the laptop mic in, or even the laptop line in.
By the same token, not sure how the levels from the laptop headphone output will drive the input of the Firepod. Nothing bad should happen, you just may have to mess with the levels a bit.

I hope this is helpful, and not just a lot of words.

progmr said:
All you need is a software application with flexible internal routing to split the guitar signal between Native Instruments Guitar Rig and Absynth.

Take the guitar signal thru the most appropriate input on the Firepod. Then in Tracktion, Cubase, Sonar or Reaper set it up so that it access one midi track with the Guitar Rig plugin and a second track with Absynth.

You don't need to do all the external cable loop-around that you're planning. And a soft setup has the advantage of being saved to a file that can be easily be brought up and made part of any song or piece...

Back