Speed review 5700rpm vs 7500IDE HD on PC

William Choi

Alright, I have an IDE 5700rpm IDE harddrive and I find myself waiting a whole damn long while for the HD to stop thinking.
Im using CoolEdit Pro and it has a light indicator which goes off when the HD is finished processing.
When I get to say 10 fully recorded tracks(maybe 30 tracks scattered) it takes a long while untill you see the indicator go off.
Has anyone upgraded from a IDE 5700rpm to a 7500 IDE HD and witnessed a huge difference in speed? Please report! I want to upgrade soon and Im wondering if upgrading to a 7500IDE Maxtor or something is a whole lot fast than my Quantum Fireball CR 5700rpm IDE HD.
The wait isn't pissingly irratating(given the quality product in the end) but it sure is time consuming.

Hi William,

We just had a lengthy discussion on a topic related to this in the computer/soundcards forum. To try and answer your question though:

How much memory do you have now? This will make a difference in how much hard drive access you get. If you have less than 128 I would suggest upgrading. 128MB is a minumum, for the number of tracks your trying to achieve anyway.

You will notice a big difference in going from a 5400 RPM to a 7200RPM. I might recommend getting the Quantum KA over the Maxtor though. Although I have a lot of memory (256MB) and a fast drive (Quantum KA 7200), I do have some disk caching. I belive it's just the way windows and the software (cubase) handle caching (or lack of) data. When running 20 or so tracks on playback, my HD light turns on and off in a rhythmic sequence, about once every 2 seconds. I don't think you can eliminate all Hard Drive activity. The benefits of the 7200 will be: more tracks, more stable performance, faster processing of effects, faster loading in of program data.

This depends somewhat on the rest of your system, memory, cpu.

Emeric

Back