Speed change w/ Gadget 824 and Vegas

Joel

I'm having a bummer of a problem with the above mentioned card and software duo. I'm running this on a 1.2Ghz Athlon Abit KT7 mobo 384 MB ram, 20GB 7200rpm Maxtor HD.

The problem: I recorded a few tracks at 24 bit-48 khz, then fiddled with some track effects, volume, panning, and the like. Maybe I shut down the program for awhile to work on something else. Then I come back (maybe an hour, maybe the next day--it doesn't matter) and suddenly all the tracks are playing a half-step higher than normal speed. It's also happened where it plays a half-step (or more) lower in speed. I've checked the scrub strip--it's at 1.00 speed. It's even happened within minutes of recording a track.

This perplexed me for awhile, and even caused me to halt recording because some projects never returned to the proper speed. (Oddly, some projects, if I noticed the speed change right away, would change back to normal if I shut down immediately and rebooted, but not always.) But when I encountered a speed change in Sound Forge 5.0 the other day, it might have ruled out software problems (multitrack v. sound editor, two different birds--same company, tho. hmm...)

Has anyone experienced this before, especially with Gadget Labs? I know, I know they're out of business :( . BTW, I'm running Win 98se, freshly installed, recording only machine.

Joel, I started having exactly the same problem about 6 days ago. Sometimes it plays back too fast, sometimes too slow. Sometimes right away, sometimes the next day. My software's Cool Edit. I contacted the Cool Edit people, described the symptoms, and the very helpful and unusually well-informed techie there said this sort of thing is invariably a soundcard problem. The problem cropped up only when I started tracking at 48 KHz, and it disappeared after I went back to 44.1 KHz.

I'm just a little bit bitter about this, having laid out a sizeable amount of money on this card, and not having anywhere to go to get the problem sorted out. Also, I bought a spdif add-on card from them about a week before they went out of business (of course they never told me about that), and I've never been able to get the thing working! It's looking like the only alternative is to get a new soundcard, which in my case means getting a new computer as well. Ouch... Let's see, that's about $800 for the computer and about $320 for a Delta 66. Fucking Gadgetlabs.

I put a similar post up at the gadgetlabs Yahoo! group (that I just discovered!). I already received a few replies back saying to either turn off all default sounds in windows since they play back at a different sampling rate, thus changing speed of other sounds played at a higher sampling rate.

Another solution was to install a cheap sound card to set as a default card that all those sounds can play through.

This makes sense to me now since some of my songs sound slow while others are fast when played back. The ones that sound slow get bumped down to that speed after a default windows sound was played. The ones that are now too fast (and stuck that way) must have been recorded after a windows sound was played, and then when they're played backed at 48khz they are speeded back up. And these type will be stuck that way unless I get a windows sound to play again.

The projects I think I am hopelessly screwed on are the ones where the sampling rate "changed mid stream" when a windows sound was played in the middle of the project. I figure the software will be confused about what speed to play it at and either leave it slow or fast (whatever the case is) or maybe keep it at the proper speed, if I'm lucky.

That's my theory, and those are some of the ideas I've heard. I'll post back after I try it to see if any new tracks are unaffected. Here's hoping!

I think you could just disable all the windoze sounds and be ok. (Except those old projects....)

Queue

Okay, Joel, try the fix with Windows sounds. I'm gonna try a down-to-the-nubs Cool Edit uninstall tomorrow, because of other strange problems I've been having. We'll meet back here later in the week. The problem started with me when, for the first time in MONTHS, I decided to try out 48 KHz again to see if I could hear a difference. Yeah, I could - things played back faster or slower LOL.

I've got a GL 824 card, PIII 533 system, Win 98SE, Direct X 8. I also have a Soundblaster card in my system. I have the system set so there are NO Windows system sounds, although I do have (and occasionally play) some games on it. I use Cakewalk Pro V9 and do all my recording at 24 bit / 44.1, then converting in Cakewalk to 16/44.1 prior to burning to CD. I have never experianced the problems you are describing, which may help confirm your suspicison that it is related to recording at 48 only. When I first bought the unit I did some test recording at 48 and 44, did not hear a noticable difference, and so decided to always record at 44.1 (and thus avoid the additional conversion step).

Hope this helps, I've had a good experiance with my GL, hopefully you will track down the problem.

Back