Spectrogram?

Dig

I am not sure if this is the best place to ask this but I am not sure which would be the best forum, so here goes.

I am messing with a couple of pieces of wav editing software and they have different views. One view is the Spectrogram.

Why would I use this view? What information does this view give and how would I use it?

Thanks

Yes, and the spectra shown should give you a good idea as to what frequencies need boosting or cutting.

im not sure what your spectogram looks like but usually there is each freq. and its gain. Depending on the sound you want, you should be able to adjust to your needs.

yiordanaki

Thanks. I am still not exactly sure what to do so I have attache a screen capture of a file in spectra mode.

It is at http://www.copyshop.us/spectra.htm

Ignore the mouse arrow. It was just there when I captured the file.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

yiordanaki said:
Yes, and the spectra shown should give you a good idea as to what frequencies need boosting or cutting.

im not sure what your spectogram looks like but usually there is each freq. and its gain. Depending on the sound you want, you should be able to adjust to your needs.

yiordanaki

in that picture it looks to have frequency on the vertical axis, time on the horizontal, and gain is the colour. Yellow is quieter, and red is louder. Should be explained somewhere. Looks like a bass heavy track.

Matty

hey Dig. I'm not expert but here's what I know.
With a standard level meter you see jus one dimension, that is amplitude at just one point in time (the present).
On the display of modern home stereos, like Sonys, you see 2 dimensions. You see amplitude divided by frequencies, again in just one point of time. The spectrogram goes one step further, It shows you amplitude vs. frequency vs. time. So now you're not just seeing an instantaneous point in time, you're seeing a history. It's like the amp vs. freq display is a photo, and the spectrogram is a movie.
What Matt said is correct. Instead of showing a 3 axis chart (some analyzers do this), this spectrograph uses color as the third dimension, which in this case is amplitude. Red is louder, yellow is softer.
Many people say that spectrograms are worthless and they say that you have to use your ears instead of your eyes. I agree with them about using your ears. But I think spectrograms are great for learning, specially if you don't have somebody to tell you how frequencies sound. It's like the next best thing.

Cheers, Andrés

Back