Specific Chord Book or Online Reference

Raydio

Im looking for either a book or online reference that shows all of the chords in a given scale. For example: If I want to write a song in the key of Cmin, I want to open the book and see every chord (triads, 7th, etc.) that can be made using only that scale. I have yet to find a reference like this ANYWHERE but I hear they exist. Please help me out, thanks

Raydio said:
Im looking for either a book or online reference that shows all of the chords in a given scale. For example: If I want to write a song in the key of Cmin, I want to open the book and see every chord (triads, 7th, etc.) that can be made using only that scale. I have yet to find a reference like this ANYWHERE but I hear they exist. Please help me out, thanks

Hmmm ... Well I don't know of anything that does exactly that. But it wouldn't be too difficult to do yourself, and it would be a good exercise to help you to learn them.

Searching for these can lead you to others, too. I happen to like and own these:

Deluxe Encyclopedia Of Piano Chords
Bob Kroepel
Mel Bay, Missouri, 1973
ISBN 0871665794

Incredible Chord Finder [guitar]
Shinko Music
Hal Leonard, Wisconsin, 1975
ISBN 0881881406

Here's something I saved a while back. This of course isn't EVERYTHING, but most extended chords would be built off these. And of course the relative minor is the 6th chord in the key, and would use the same chords:

12 KEYS IN MUSIC:
1 - A = A-Bm-C#m-D-E7-F#m-G#m7b5
2 - A#/Bb = Bb-Cm-Dm-Eb-F7-Gm-Am7b5
3 - B = B-C#m-D#m-E-F#7-G#m-A#m7b5
4 - C = C-Dm-Em-F-G7-Am-Bm7b5
5 - Db/C# = Db-Ebm-Fm-Gb-Ab7-Bbm-Cm7b5
6 - D = D-Em-F#m-G-A7-Bm-C#m7b5
7 - Eb/D# = Eb-Fm-Gm-Ab-Bb7-Cm-Dm7b5
8 - E = E-F#m-G#m-A-B7-C#m-D#m7b5
9 - F = F-Gm-Am-Bb-C7-Dm-Em7b5
10 - F#/Gb = F#-G#m-A#m-B-C#7-D#m -E#[F]mtb5
11 - G = G-Am-Bm-C-D7-Em-F#m7b5
12 - Ab/G# = Ab-Bbm-Cm-Db-Eb7-Fm-G#m7b5-Ab

Anyone of these 12 Keys can be used to write music in, are read left to right, and all 12 of these Keys have:
1. 7 Chords--2 of which are Major, 3 - Minor, 1 - Dom. [i.e. G7, D7, C7...etc.], and a 1- Minor7b5 Chord in each of them. Verify this now.
2. These 7 Chords will ALWAYS sound good when played together. In any order.
3. A single Major Scale can be used to solo over all 7 of them--regardless of the fact that they are Major & Minor..etc.. For example for the 'Key of D,' we have these 7 Chords:
6 - D = D-Em-F#m-G-A7-Bm-C#m7b5
And, the 'D' Major Scale can be used so Solo over ALL of it's 7 Chords.

Back