Speaker set up

Kronen

I'm using a two speaker PA system as speakers for my PC. Some instruments from songs don't play through them, I only get the overdub or a very faint background version. Is this because my PA system isn't formatted properly to pick up different pans? (Such as when an instrument is meant to only play through cetain speakers). Is it likely I'm going to need to buy a compleatly different speaker system to remedy this? It does depend on where the sound is coming from, songs from spotify often don't play as they should but when I play them off YouTube they sound fine.

I can only guess at how you have it set up, but it sounds like you are only getting one channel (either left or right) through the speakers.

If you were to explain how you have connected everything, we might be able to offer a solution.

If it's not what gecko said (one channel) it could be a stereo -> balanced connection issue, or a headphone connection that's lost its ground.

Whilst there is no great problem in using PA speakers as monitors (as some might think) they do vary in "fidelity" quite a bit from pretty rough arsed 15" woofers crossed over to glass cutter peizo horns to very excellent active K&H units. But what PA speakers are NOT going to be is "nearfields"! They's just too damn big.

At best a pair of 200W+ PA speakers must be considered "midfield" units and need to be some 2 or more mtrs from the listening spot but really they need to be 3 -4 mtrs away and since they should not be close to walls this makes siting them very problematic in even a decent sized domestic setting.

But yes, there is something awry with how the DAW is feeding them. Does a "proper" CD sound ok?

Dave.

Back