Speaker Positioning Relative to Computer

Merverus

Hey Guys,

My current setup has two 300w speakers on either end of my monitor and computer case. Each speaker is about 1 foot away from the computer equipment.

When I was setting this up, I noticed a discolouration on my monitor's display, which was corrected when I moved the speaker further away. This led me to wonder what the minimum safe distance is between (obviously not very well-insulated) speakers that are projecting magnetic mischief and my computer. My concern is that the radiation will corrupt my harddrive and/or damage my monitor.

If anyone has any experience or resources available on this, please let me know. Thanks in advance!!!

pea[c]e

I'm not sure if it will effect your hard drive depending on where the computer is located. It will, however, effect your monitor. This is another reason why studios use SHIELDED Monitors. Shielded monitors are designed to be used with computer setups. What speakers are you using as monitors?

Your monitors are unshielded, which i guess you figured out :)

Since all video and audio monitors are different, you're going to have to experiment to get the right distance. Moving them further apart from each other requires you to sit back a little further as well, so you have formed a virtual equalateral triangle (distance from you to each monitor is identical as distance between monitors).

Merverus said:
Hey Guys,

My current setup has two 300w speakers on either end of my monitor and computer case. Each speaker is about 1 foot away from the computer equipment.

When I was setting this up, I noticed a discolouration on my monitor's display, which was corrected when I moved the speaker further away. This led me to wonder what the minimum safe distance is between (obviously not very well-insulated) speakers that are projecting magnetic mischief and my computer. My concern is that the radiation will corrupt my harddrive and/or damage my monitor.

If anyone has any experience or resources available on this, please let me know. Thanks in advance!!!

pea[c]e

Back